What are you Baking the week of June 7, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of June 7, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Too hot the next few days, but the heat is supposed to break on Tuesday, maybe I'll bake then.

Spread the word
      aaronatthedoublef
      Participant

I'm working on a batch of sourdough bread. I have a loaf of whole wheat bread thawing on the counter. My last loaf grew moldy pretty quickly. That hasn't happened before but it's pretty humid now. I wonder if subbing some honey in for the brown sugar will slow that. So many things to try!

cwcdesign
        Participant

I finally started a sourdough starter this morning. I’m trying the pineapple juice starter that was so popular on the Baking Circle. Dachshundlady has kept hers going for a long time. You can store it in the fridge when done and it doesn’t make too huge an amount

BakerAunt
          Participant

Aaron--honey is supposed to help prevent staling. Maybe it is also a preservative? I do find that wholegrain bread can go moldy faster in hot and humid weather.

I made pancakes for Sunday breakfast using equal parts of 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill pancake mix, 1 cup of quick oats, and increasing the water to 1 cup. I have almost finished the mix.

We had a nice cooler Sunday, so I have taken advantage of it for baking. I began by baking my Rye Barley Crispbread.

I then pulled out a recipe for Sourdough Oatmeal Bread, from a second edition of Sunset Breads. I baked it once a long time ago, liked the recipe, and typed it on a card. I'm a more experienced baker now, so I began making changes to make it a mostly wholegrain Oatmeal Wheat Sourdough bread. It had a sponge, and now it is on its first rise. I will report later on results.

aaronatthedoublef
            Participant

Honey also has anti-bacterial qualities. I am not sure if it will make a difference but I have a bunch sitting around.

My sourdough appeared not to be rising after I shaped it but then it had blow outs. Looks kind of like long rolls and I that's how I will use it. I'll try some more later this week.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

While raw honey is both antibacterial and antifungal, due in part to the hydrogen peroxide in it, it doesn't prevent mold from growing in bread, and I'm never sure if it slows down the rate at which bread goes moldy.

BakerAunt
                Participant

My experiment with Oatmeal Whole Wheat Sourdough Bread came out well in that the bread is light and tasty. The recipe said three 8x4 loaves; it does make three but they are small. Once in the oven, there was little additional spring, which concerned me until I cut into a loaf at lunch and was pleased at the soft texture. I will continue playing with this recipe. For now, however, I have enough bread in the freezer to take us through our continuing hot spells.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I made Maple Granola on Monday.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

I baked the Chocolate Chip Peanut butter cookies that Kimbob posted last week and they were very good.I made a full batch and my husband took half to share with the owners of our neighborhood store.I scooped them with a 40 scoop and got about 36-40 bakery size cookies.They are better cold.

RiversideLen
                      Participant

I made my usual bun recipe but divided it into 4 burger buns and 4 three strand braided rolls. A couple of them are destined for Italian sausage.

cwcdesign
                        Participant

I made a batch of KAF’s chewy Italian rolls that we will use for sub-type sandwiches tonight. They look really good.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

The front finally rolled through after supper, dropping the temperature over 20 degrees in under an hour.

It is supposed to be cool tomorrow, so I may be able to get some baking done.

skeptic7
                            Participant

I did cornbread today. Its basically the same recipe as last week, the yeast risen Northern style cornbread. This time I did an overnight sponge with 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup buttermilk, 1 cup cornmeal, 1/4 tsp yeast. The next day I mixed in the rest of the ingredients, poured it in a cast iron frying pan, let it rest while the oven preheated -- more than half an hour. and baked it. The previous time I was cooking in a slow cooker. Its lighter and fluffier than last time with bigger holes. I can still taste a hint of sourness from the buttermilk.
                              I like it and its interesting to make a cornbread with yeast instead of baking soda and baking powder. I am not sure its worth the extra time necessary.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Wednesday is a hot and muggy day. My husband even turned on the air conditioner. I did not want to use the oven. The electric mini-pizzella maker that I bought from KAF arrived yesterday, so I looked at the first recipe, “Caterina Casola’s Family Recipe,” and decided to make a half recipe. That means 3 eggs and ¼ cup canola oil, or 10g saturated fat in the entire batch. I ended up with about 45 nicely shaped larger pizzella and some little ones as well, so we will have somewhat healthy cookies tonight! It is a challenge getting just the correct amount of dough for each of the three small wells. I ended up using my Zeroll 100 scoop, which is about 1 tsp. I learned not to over or under load it. The only thing that would make dessert even better tonight would be if strawberries would have shown up at the farmers market.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

I'm making a loaf of Austrian malt bread today.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.