Mon. Sep 28th, 2026

Mike Nolan

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 4,471 through 4,485 (of 8,095 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of August 2, 2020? #26067
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

      We designed our house to have all the important stuff: kitchen, master bedroom, laundry room, etc. on the first floor, with a slight ramp up from the garage so there are no steps. All the doors are at least 36 inches wide, the bedroom hallway is a full 48" wide.

      My wife has been using a walker for a few weeks because she's having some back and hip issues, but the house is ready for that.

      in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of August 9, 2020? #26045
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

        I bought some Genoa salami and a cantaloupe, so that's supper, along with some sweet corn and the peach tart that I posted in the baking thread.

        in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of August 9, 2020? #26042
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

          I had peaches that needed to get used up, so I made a peach tart in the style of an Irish Apple Cake.

          tart

          Attachments:
          You must be logged in to view attached files.
          in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of August 2, 2020? #26037
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

            Here are some numbers for Aaron on weight loss during baking and cooling for yesterday's semolina/malt bread, baked in a loaf pan:

            Pre-bake weight: 982 grams
            Post-bake weight (still hot): 942 grams
            Post bake weight (1/2 hour of cooling): 922 grams
            Post bake weight (next morning): 904 grams

            So it lost just under 8% of the pre-bake weight by the time it had fully cooled.

            in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of August 2, 2020? #26029
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

              I'm baking another semolina/malt bread loaf.

              in reply to: Table Queen Squash #25999
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

                Not sure this answers all your questions, but it does say when and how to pick and store it:
                Table Queen Acorn Squash

                in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of August 2, 2020? #25992
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

                  I made a stir fry tonight.

                  in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of August 2, 2020? #25971
                  Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

                    I'd like to see it too, it sounds similar to a clafoutis recipe.

                    in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of August 2, 2020? #25970
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

                      We had steak with young and tender sweet corn.

                      in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of August 2, 2020? #25955
                      Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

                        we had tacos

                        in reply to: Daily Quiz for August 3, 2020 #25945
                        Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

                          I have quite a few different vinegars on hand these days, including several different wine vinegars that my wife got from the wine professor at UNL. We like a red wine tarragon vinegar in devilled eggs, I've used Champagne vinegar when making mayonnaise.

                          Rice wine vinegar has a unique flavor profile, I think it is the missing link in sushi rice, just like parsnips are the missing link in chicken broth/soup.

                          I'm still figuring out what all I can do with the celery and carrot vinegars I made this spring. I gave up on the onion vinegar batch, though, after some discussion with Chef David Zilber I think the sulfur in onion juice interferes with the vinegaring process.

                          When the fall squashes start showing up, I'm going to try making some squash vinegar, the Noma book says it is very versatile.

                          in reply to: Covid-19 Discussions and Stories #25940
                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

                            Sorry for your loss, I hope your measures were sufficient.

                            in reply to: Crackers with butter? #25928
                            Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

                              Substituting butter for shortening get tricky, because shortening is all fat and butter is 20% water, and butter is a fat that melts at a lower temperature, too.

                              in reply to: Red Onion and Salmonella Alert #25918
                              Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

                                Raw red onions are used more for their color than flavor, when you cook them the color pretty much goes away.

                                I used to make onion soup using half red and half yellow onions, just because the recipe I was using called for that.

                                White onions are stronger than either red or yellow onions.

                                Sweet onions are entirely different, ordinary yellow onions get pretty sweet if you caramelize them. I made a batch of French onion soup with Vidalia onions once, it was almost too sweet to eat.

                                in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of July 26, 2020? #25907
                                Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

                                  We've cut back on the amount of sweet corn we eat, it's really high in carbs. Plus, with just 2 of us, even a half dozen ears will last a while.

                                  We made the rest of the tortellini tonight, it was from Costco, I plan to buy more.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 4,471 through 4,485 (of 8,095 total)