Pie crust

Home Forums Baking — Desserts Pie crust

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    kimbob
    Participant

Hi, Joan. When you freeze pie crusts do you just freeze it in a flattened disc or roll it out? My 8 inch crust came out nice and 'short' (flaky). I made my crust using kaf mellow pastry blend with half butter and half crisco. I have 5 and 6 inch mini pie plates and have enough dough for a mini pie. I have to buy some blueberries, though, so figured I'd freeze the crust in the meantime. Thanks!

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Kimbob when I make the pie crusts to freeze I make a disc about the size of a saucer.The recipe I use is called Sylvia's Perfect Piecrust,it's suppose to make 3 pie crust.The recipe calls for all Crisco,I've made it half Crisco and half butter with good results but what I do is add one more cup of flour and get 4 pie crusts and it's nice and flaky.I don't change any other ingredients just more flour and maybe another tablespoon of water if needed.I use all purpose flour.

I got this recipe from Pioneer Woman and I've been pleased with it.

The ones I made a couple days ago I used all Crisco because I needed to use it up,the ones I baked a couple month's back had been in freezer for a couple month's and when rolled out you could still see the butter flecks very well.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

SYLVIA'S PERFECT PIE CRUST

Be the first to review this recipe
          Recipe by -Mary-

SAVE RECIPE
          READY IN: 45mins
          SERVES: 6
          UNITS: US
          INGREDIENTS
          Nutrition
          1 1⁄2
          cups Crisco (vegetable Shortening)
          3******* I use 4 cups of flour and get 4 pie crusts.
          cups all-purpose flour
          whole egg
          tablespoons cold water
          tablespoon white vinegar
          teaspoon salt

ADVERTISEMENT
          DIRECTIONS
          In a large bowl, with a pastry cutter, gradually work the Crisco into the flour for about 3 or 4 minutes until it resembles a coarse meal. In a small bowl, beat an egg with a fork and then pour it into the flour/shortening mixture. Add 5 tablespoons of cold water, 1 tablespoon of white vinegar and 1 teaspoon of salt. Stir together gently until all of the ingredients are incorporated.
          Separate the dough into thirds. ***Note: Separating it into thirds will result in three thin crusts. If you prefer a more substantial crust, separate it in half.*** Form 3 evenly sized balls of dough and place each dough into a large Ziploc bag. Using a rolling pin, slightly flatten each ball of dough (about ½ inch thick) to make rolling easier later. Seal the bags and place them in the freezer until you need them. (If you will be using it immediately it’s still a good idea to put in the freezer for about 15 to 20 minutes to chill.).
          When you are ready to use the dough to make a crust, remove from the freezer and allow to thaw for 15 minutes. On a floured surface roll the dough, starting at the center and working your way out. (Sprinkle some flour over top of the dough if it’s a bit too moist.) If the dough is sticking to the countertop use a metal spatula and carefully scrape it up and flip it over and continue rolling until it’s about ½ inch larger in diameter than your pie pan.
          With a spatula, lift the dough carefully from the surface of the counter into the pie pan. Gently press the dough against the corner of the pan. Go around the pie pan pinching and tucking the dough to make a clean edge.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Joan Simpson.
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I have a set of large round cookie cutters, for a bottom crust I'll use a 6" cutter, for top crusts I'm more likely to use a 5" round cutter.

I start by placing the cookie cutter on my scale and then lining the cookie cutter with plastic wrap. Then I measure in the amount of pie dough I want, depending on the type and size of pie usually anywhere from 200 to 350 grams. I fold the plastic wrap over the top and use a flat metal tool (a coffee tamper) to compact and flatten it into an even circular disc, then take it out of the cookie cutter. I wrap it a second time if it is going into the freezer, then label and date it with a felt tip marker.

If you do it right, this creates almost no mess to clean up.

When I want to make a pie, I take a disc or two out of the freezer a day ahead of time. Because it is already 5-6 inches in diameter, it doesn't take a lot of time to roll it out to the desired diameter, generally from 8 1/2 to 14 inches. (One of these days I promise I'll finish and post my table of how much pie dough to use and big the pie crust has to be to fit various sized pans and types of pies, an extension of the concept in a PJ Hamel KAF Blog post from several years ago.)

kimbob
            Participant

Hey, thanks, Joan! I'm going to try this recipe next time. I never use an egg -- interesting. I've used vinegar in the past and I usually use all crisco. I make my crust with flour, butter, crisco, a pinch of salt, and ice water. What I like about using all crisco is that you can roll it out right away. Plus it's very flaky. The crust is my favorite part of the pie.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.