Tue. Sep 29th, 2026

Mike Nolan

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 4,501 through 4,515 (of 8,095 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of July 26, 2020? #25795
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

      I got an 8x8 Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake out of the freezer last night, so we're enjoying it today.

      in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of July 26, 2020? #25792
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

        The chocolate glaze that donut shops use is one I've never been able to reproduce at home. (I think they buy it in 25 pound tubs.)

        in reply to: No quizzes until next week #25780
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

          Still no new computer, but I've posted a quiz for Monday.

          in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of July 26, 2020? #25775
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

            I may have to try this again using something other than barley malt syrup, since it imparts some color to the dough. Maybe some honey?

            I also posted the final picture on the BBGA forum, where there was a thread recently on whether or not an alkali bath was needed for bagels, with some pretty good bakers coming down on the side of 'no'. I'll be interested to see if anyone comments on the color change there.

            in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of July 26, 2020? #25765
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

              Here are some shots of today's bagel test:

              These are the bagels after boiling. The ones on the left and the two lower ones in the middle are the ones done in water with baking soda:

              bageltest2b

              These are the bagels after baking:

              bageltest3

              Here's a close up shot of one of the bagels boiled in baking soda water and one boiled in honey water. As you can see, the baking soda made a big difference in color. This is Peter's recipe in the Artisan Breads book, which uses barley malt syrup, so the dough has a light brown color, but the alkali bath really accentuated that after baking:

              2bagels

              Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.
              in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of July 19, 2020? #25757
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

                Our younger son developed an allergy to shellfish in his late 20's. He can't eat anything with fish sauce in it either, and these days he just avoids seafood. So of course, he lives in San Francisco, seafood capital of the US.

                in reply to: Changes at King Arthur Flour #25753
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

                  I suspect they'll have another offer soon, they seem to run them once or twice a month.

                  in reply to: Changes at King Arthur Flour #25748
                  Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

                    I think Costco has the 12 pound bag for $6.99, Walmart and Target have the 5 pound bag for around $3.49.

                    in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of July 19, 2020? #25747
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

                      Did Violet ever get her 'something sweet'?

                      in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of July 19, 2020? #25746
                      Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

                        We had salami and melon for supper.

                        in reply to: Changes at King Arthur Flour #25739
                        Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

                          Depends on the supplier, but 50 pounds of flour is probably somewhere around $20-$30 these days. Shipping is the expensive part, if you can find a local distributor who will sell it to you it is a lot cheaper to pick it up.

                          My former neighbor, the head of the local Sysco office, used to grumble about the price of flour going up, remembering a time not that long ago when he could buy it for $8 a bag.

                          in reply to: Covid-19 Discussions and Stories #25737
                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

                            The latest covid19 shortage: beer cans!

                            The problem is that a lot of beer is usually sold in kegs to bars and restaurants and at sporting events, and they're all still pretty much shut down, so canned beer sales are up and the breweries are running out of cans.

                            in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of July 19, 2020? #25725
                            Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

                              Well, my idea of 'roughing it' these days is a Holiday Inn that doesn't have HBO!

                              in reply to: Changes at King Arthur Flour #25720
                              Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

                                I suspect political correctness was a factor in the reason to select a new logo.

                                BTW, Trader Joe's is dropping their branding of certain products as 'Trader Jose', 'Trader Joe San', etc.

                                in reply to: No quizzes until next week #25707
                                Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

                                  Nothing major, really. The keyboard on my laptop seems to be dying, some keys don't work reliably.

                                  I spent yesterday evening trying to get an older laptop working, but it keeps crashing, so I may have to give up and get a new one, and I don't have time for that for the next few days.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 4,501 through 4,515 (of 8,095 total)