Mon. Sep 28th, 2026

chocomouse

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,471 through 1,485 (of 2,758 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of April 25, 2021? #29728
    chocomouse
    Participant

      I baked 2 loaves of buttermilk whole wheat bread.

      in reply to: 2021 Garden plans #29722
      chocomouse
      Participant

        Yes, the weather sure is a roller coaster this year. It is 28* and going down right now, at 2:00 a.m. Our last average frost date is May 15; I've been keeping records for 36 years now. I usually don't plant anything outside until Memorial Day, but may try a small planter on the deck with lettuce and spinach this week. And for once, I'd love two weeks of rain this year, as we are officially in a drought, but there is no rain beyond "a chance of showers" in the forecast for several weeks.

        in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of April 25, 2021? #29721
        chocomouse
        Participant

          We had a stir fry with chicken, on angel hair pasta tonight.

          in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of April 25, 2021? #29706
          chocomouse
          Participant

            We had split pea soup from the freezer, and gruyere rolls.

            in reply to: Coming Through the Rye #29705
            chocomouse
            Participant

              Baked beans and brown bread is a very old traditional New England meal. It was (and probably still is) the standard Saturday night supper for many. Twenty or thirty years ago, I baked it in empty coffee cans - til that became a no-no. Then we searched out stainless steel cans, for example, kitchen utensil holders. I still have some of those, but no longer make brown bread.

              in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of April 25, 2021? #29694
              chocomouse
              Participant

                This morning I made Lemon Blueberry muffins with lemon streusel.

                in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of April 18, 2021? #29691
                chocomouse
                Participant

                  We had grilled steak, roasted potatoes, and broccoli.

                  in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of April 18, 2021? #29678
                  chocomouse
                  Participant

                    We had leftover stuffed peppers, gruyere rolls, and green salad.

                    in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of April 18, 2021? #29652
                    chocomouse
                    Participant

                      BakerAunt, I will continue making variations on that oatmeal bar theme. My husband loves them. I've decided I will not be trying the flapjack recipe Smitten Kitten posted. It calls for way too much sugar -- I would be sweeter than I like, and it's more sugar than I can eat.

                      in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of April 18, 2021? #29651
                      chocomouse
                      Participant

                        I made stuffed peppers for dinner last night. We had just finished eating when we lost power, so we ended up just going to bed, in the dark. Most of our friends and relatives have solar panels on the roof or property, and back up batteries so they never lost power, but we have not invested in any of that yet. We do own two generators, but they are at the sugarhouse now. We ended up with about 2 inches of heavy wet snow, high winds, and lots of limbs down.

                        in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of April 18, 2021? #29634
                        chocomouse
                        Participant

                          I made another batch of the Oatmeal Bars, this time using homemade raspberry jam instead of apricot. I also drizzled chocolate over the jam before crumbling the topping over them. The chocolate is Raspberry Liquor Fudge Sauce from Stonewall Kitchen.

                          in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of April 18, 2021? #29613
                          chocomouse
                          Participant

                            We grilled kielbase with onions and peppers, and it them on burger buns.

                            in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of April 18, 2021? #29612
                            chocomouse
                            Participant

                              Today I made Olive-Gruyere Rolls. I rolled the dough out into a rectangle, spread it with grated Trader Joe's cheddar-gruyere and chopped green olives, then rolled it up (like cinnamon buns). I sliced it into 24 pieces which I put into oil-sprayed muffin tins. These are great with soup or salads.

                              in reply to: New to this board #29579
                              chocomouse
                              Participant

                                Welcome! I know you'll enjoy this group and so glad you can now join us.

                                in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of April 18, 2021? #29578
                                chocomouse
                                Participant

                                  Joan, you'd better set many additional places at your table!!

                                Viewing 15 posts - 1,471 through 1,485 (of 2,758 total)