What are you Cooking the Week of April 11, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of April 11, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    chocomouse
    Participant

Dinner was ham, cheddar, and veggie omelet with English muffins.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

We had pizza bread on Challah, with artichoke hearts, mushrooms, ham and cheese.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Wednesday night’s dinner was Turkey-Zucchini Meatloaf with Peach-Dijon Mustard Glaze. I also roasted potato wedges tossed in olive oil with Penzey’s Mural Seasoning. We rounded out the meal with microwaved frozen mixed vegetables.

I may be getting down to the last of the peach jam I made two years ago. Getting good peaches to make more may be an issue. I was able to buy them twice in different years from a vendor who had organic peaches as a sideline to her honey business. The peaches were "ugly" (her words) but delicious, and they made fantastic peach jam. However, the crop often depended on whether there was a freeze (as in 2018) or not. She stopped coming to the market after spring 2019. I miss her peaches and her honey.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Macaroni and cheese here, something simple and fairly mild.

Italiancook
            Participant

BakerAunt, re: your loss of a good honey supplier: I have never found a store-bought honey that I liked or would be willing to use in bread. But I found honey at lehmans.com that I like, that also adds good flavor to bread. It's called Tonn's Pure Premium Ohio Honey. Link below. It's pricey at $21.99, but it's 32 ounces. In addition to doing a good job in and on bread, it enhances ribs. Lehmans.com also has other honey, but I haven't tried them. Lehmans.com also carries Tonn's Pure Buckwheat.

https://www.lehmans.com/product/tonns-pure-premium-ohio-honey/#

BakerAunt
              Participant

Italian Cook--After the honey vendor stopped coming, possibly due to health issues, we discovered that there is someone in our town who keeps bees and produces honey. Although he stopped coming to the farmers' market, I was able to email him and we have bought his honey. In addition, the Kroger in the larger town to our northeast carries honey from a regional producer. However, if these sources ever go away, I will keep Lehmann's in mind.

I often bought Breitsammer honey at T.J. Maxx and Ross when I lived close to their stores. It is German honey, and my husband particularly likes their creamier honey.

navlys
                Participant

We had store bought salad and cheese bread. The electrical system in our building suffered a fire at 1am Sunday. We will have no electricity for months. Our neighbor in the condo (Florida) helped us to connect to generator so we could plug in the refrigerator. Needless to say neither the stove nor microwave nor dishwasher is working.We have to wash dishes in cold water. We are scheduled to leave on the 24th for home and since the weather hasn't been too bad and the weather is good we will stay til then. Can't wait to get home and start cooking and baking again.

chocomouse
                  Participant

That's a real bummer! Not only will you miss cooking and baking, living without power and the use of lots of appliances is a huge inconvenience.

Our dinner tonight was turkey soup, using up the last of the winter supply of frozen mixed veggies, and Penzey's Sunny Paris. With it we had savory fan rolls.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Navlys--I'd be tempted to leave early no matter how good the weather!

For dinner on Thursday, I roasted sweet potato chunks tossed in olive oil, which we had with leftover turkey loaf.

On Thursday I also cooked a bag of chickpeas that I had soaked overnight. I froze some, set some aside for a recipe that I will make in a few days, and used the remainder to make hummus to go with the bagel chips that I baked yesterday and probably some carrots and celery sticks.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Last night we had cubed pork,macaroni and tomatoes and creamed corn.Tonight it was fend for yourself...I had peanut butter and jam sandwich,husband had turkey sandwich and soup.

cwcdesign
                        Participant

We’ve started experimenting with tofu and tempeh, because we’re getting tired of chicken. We don’t eat much red meat and don’t like pork. Living on the coast you’d think it would be easy to get good fish, but here it’s mostly shrimp which I can’t eat anymore. The best fish market is 20 minutes away so we have to plan unless I bring home salmon from work.

So far Will’s experiments have been successful- he’s grilled the tofu and made tempeh sloppy joe’s. We will keep them in the rotation.

Navlys, I’m sorry about your woes

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I'm currently making croutons from some of the Challah I made on Sunday, and the plan is to make potato-leek soup for supper. (I still need to go buy potatoes and leeks, though.)

chocomouse
                            Participant

Quesadillas for dinner, to use up leftover pork.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

The Challah made very good croutons, for a change I didn't even add any butter or salt to the soup, it was great with just the croutons in it.

I may have to make this Challah recipe again if only to have it for croutons.

The French Toast we had with it the other day was pretty good, too.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

I took a page out of Joan's cookbook for dinner tonight!

For Saturday night’s dinner (and dinners into the coming week), I cooked 2 ½ cups large lima beans (first soaked overnight and into next day) with pieces of chopped ham, 2 Tbs. reconstituted dried onion, and 1 tsp. dried thyme. I cooked brown rice separately, then added it in when both were finished. I remembered that I had about 2/3 cup of brown and mixed wild rice in the freezer, so I pulled that out and put it in as well, since the broth was a little thin, then added some freshly ground pepper. My husband is not keen on ham by itself, but he likes it when I combine it with beans.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.