What are you Cooking the Week of April 11, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of April 11, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Not sure what I'm cooking today, probably something to go with all the Challah.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

I'll be heating up leftover roast and gravy from last week,fresh mashed potatoes and fried okra.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I made clam chowder for my lunch on Sunday, and for the next couple of days, using the recipe from my old Betty Crocker cookbook. I put in extra potato, and I also add ½ tsp. celery seed, a tip from my college roommate.

Sunday night dinner (it is in the oven) is Pork Loin Roast with Barley, Butternut Squash, and Kale, a recipe that I adapted from a Cooks Illustrated one that did not work that well. I am using the last butternut squash I had from the autumn farmers’ market; it stayed fresh in the cold apartment over our garage. I really like this one-pot recipe on a cool (50s) rainy day—the way it is supposed to be in northern Indiana in the spring. The rain is always welcomed, especially since my husband is well on his way to planting an additional 250 trees.

chocomouse
          Participant

We have cooled down a bit here, 50s today, but really need some rain. There are possible showers forecast later in the week, but only about a 30% chance. So, we cooked on the grill again tonight. Boneless pork chops, with steamed mixed vegetables and parmesan noodles.

Baker Aunt, I hope your husband has a large piece of equipment to dig holes for those trees! What kind of trees will he plant?

BakerAunt
            Participant

Chocomouse--my husband plants with his trusty shovel. He planted a little more than a hundred red pine, a little more than 100 burr oak. He planted 7 black spruce, 4 white fir. He bought these which are between 2 and 4 years old.

Then there are the ones he is growing to plant: 6 sugar maples, 5 jack pine.

He has started a lot of tamarack and grey birch. These are from seeds, so they have a way to go if they make it. He has them in containers on the sun porch. He figured out in the winter how to open a window and put a frame over it with plastic to keep the cold out and let the sun in during times when the sun shines. (You may recall that the new enclosed porch windows block the heat, so that is how he gets around it.)

Some of the trees are replacements for ones that the drought killed last year, and some are replacements for the ones the deer (so cute and so destructive) got.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

That's a lot of trees, but you've got a pretty good sized piece of land as I recall.

chocomouse
                Participant

What an interesting assortment of trees! He is forever the scientist!

For dinner tonight, we had egg salad sandwiches on maple buttermilk bread, with assorted raw veggies and dip.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

We're having French Toast with some of yesterday's Challah.

Italiancook
                    Participant

Challah French Toast is my favorite. What a yummy meal you're having!

Re: KABC Bakers' Special Dry Milk -- is that really a milk product or something else?

S_Wirth
                      Participant

Here is a link to the Baker's Special Dry Milk sold at Prepared Pantry:

https://www.preparedpantry.com/dairy-baking-ingredients.aspx/dry-milk.aspx

Scroll down for product details.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

As I understand it, Baker's Special Dry Milk is made from whole milk that is heated to at least 180 degrees before the evaporation process, which disables the protease enzymes. Somehow, that also makes it something that cannot be reconstituted.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

According to the KABC special dry milk package, 1/4 cup has no saturated fat, so maybe whole milk is not used?

I usually add a bit to my breads, even when I am using buttermilk in order to increase the calcium.

When I'm making yogurt, I use Bob's Red Mill milk powder. I tried the BRM for yogurt, adding it after I heated the milk, and it seemed to affect how well the yogurt set. However, if I mix the BRM milk powder into the milk before I heat it for yogurt, the results are fine. That suggests to me that the Bob's is not heat treated the way the special dry milk is. The Bob's Red Mill can also be reconstituted.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Last night we had chicken tenders, rice and gravy and cooked carrots.

cwcdesign
                              Participant

For Will's birthday, I made a family favorite that we call Chicken Juniper, named after my Mom's horse and my Dad's boats. It is also known as Elegant Chicken in the Forum Feasts community cookbook. Dried beef, chicken (I use tenders now) wrapped in bacon, with a sour cream and mushroom sauce, sprinkled with paprika - a really 60's/70's casserole. It is baked low and slow. I served it with green beans and brown rice - we have a could of days of leftovers.

Turns out it's my brother's birthday dinner as well!

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

Cwdesign,Happy Birthday to Will and your brother,the dinner sounds good!

We've been doing a lot of cleaning outside.My husband pressure washed the overhang trim,cleaned the gutters etc.I've been mopping, vacuuming and dusting today so I'm tired.We went to a local restaurant and had Steak tips and mushrooms,baked potato and salad.Our afternoon coffee and now he's on the lawn mower.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.