What are you Cooking the Week of April 18, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of April 18, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Might be leftovers night here.

Spread the word
      cwcdesign
      Participant

The cauliflowers were huge at Sam's the other day so I'm going to try a recipe for Crispy Blackened Cauliflower with Burrata and Herbs - I'll be using fresh mozzarella instead since the burrata was a bit pricey at Harris Teeter this morning. The herbs are made into a gremolata type sauce. I'm going to add chickpeas for protein.

BTW, in case you all didn't now, they latest series of Top Chef is on. They're in Portland, OR and through the first 3 episodes, I've been impressed with the chefs and the changes in format. I watch it on delay on Hulu Live.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I pretty much gave up on Top Chef a good five years ago, their challenges got sillier and sillier.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Our dinner is leftover lima beans with brown rice and ham--no complaints!

Joan Simpson
            Participant

We had meatloaf,mashed potatoes and fried okra.

RiversideLen
              Participant

I made a pizza in a cast iron pan for dinner.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Today I fired up the smoker and smoked a chicken that I cut in half,made a rub of brown sugar,onion powder,chili powder,paprika,cumin,salt,pepper,the chicken was so juicy after smoking.With this I made potato salad and baked beans.We'll have enough leftover chicken for a couple meals.

chocomouse
                  Participant

Len I love cast iron for pizza and breads especially. I have the large (15" I think) Lodge pizza pan and love the crusts it produces. I am so disappointed that my new Breville smart oven will accommodate only up to a 13". I'm still looking for a 13" cast iron. I recommend you try the bread pan for sandwich loaves.

chocomouse
                    Participant

Joan, you'd better set many additional places at your table!!

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I wonder how long it would take us to travel to Georgia....

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Lodge makes a 12" cast iron pan with short handles, it might fit.

Most of the handle-less deep dish pizza pans I see online are 14 inch pans, thought here are some 12 inch ones.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

I made mac and cheese following an ATK recipe. It is a one pan recipe, you take 1.5 cup of water and one cup of milk, bring it up to a simmer and then add 8 ounces of mac and cook it 6-8 minutes. Do not drain, then add 1 cup shredded American cheese (from a deli block that you shred yourself as the pre-sliced singles are often made from a different recipe) on the heat and stir until melted, then take it off the heat and add 1 cup shredded cheddar, stir in, add 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard, cover and let the cheddar melt. Now it's ready but you can prepare a simple bread crumb topping it you want.

It's all pretty simple but I don't keep American cheese on hand so I subbed mozzarella from an package that was opened from my last pizza. That, I believe, is where it went wrong, maybe I should not have used the mozzarella and doubled up on the cheddar. As you can guess now, I was not real happy with the results. I'll have to give this recipe another try, this time using the correct cheeses.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

We had some left over Kraft mac and cheese and some left over marinara from last week, the two combined very well.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

For dinner on Tuesday, my husband finished up the lima beans with brown rice and ham, as there was only a single serving. That gave me the opportunity to try a Penzey’s recipe, Spanish Chickpea and Spinach Stew, which is on their website and featured in a recent email. I replaced the 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes with 3 cups of tomato sauce with olive oil and garlic that I made from our garden late last fall and froze. I used olive oil rather than avocado oil to saute the onion. I deleted the additional garlic powder. I like moderate spiciness, so I reduced the ground cumin to ¼ tsp. and the cayenne pepper to a dash. I increased the smoked paprika to 1 ¼ tsp. I used 15 oz. of the chickpeas I cooked last week and a 12 oz. package of chopped frozen spinach. The recipe specifies serving over cooked grains. I chose to cook ½ cup bulgur (to make 1 ¼ cups cooked), which I mixed into the stew. It is delicious. I was able to use the spices, onion tomatoes, and chickpeas since my husband was not eating it. I now have lunches for into the week, as well as a recipe to serve someone who is vegan.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

Tonight we had leftover pork tender loin,butter beans and fresh macaroni and cheese.

I'll put more plates at the table anytime and I've got a big grill so it'll hold a lot of chicken or whatever we eating!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.