What are you Baking the Week of April 18, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of April 18, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No specific plans here yet, I'm going to be browsing the Ginsberg book looking for an interesting recipe to try this week.

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

I made a spinach & garlic, bacon, and artichoke pizza today. The spinach wasn't fully thawed, so I couldn't release all its water when I squeezed it by hand. I think that contributed to the center pieces of the crust being somewhat soggy. But it also could have been that the center of the pie crust was thinner than the outsides. It's been a long time since I made a pizza, so I was a bit rusty with shaping. The recipe I used didn't have any semolina, so that would have also contributed to some sog. In spite of that, the pizza was delicious! I used only mozzarella -- the only cheese I had on hand.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Italiancook.
        BakerAunt
        Participant

I found some overripened bananas at the grocery store this morning (marked down), so on Sunday I baked my version of Buckwheat Banana Cake. It works perfectly in a 6-cup Bundt Pan.

We were also out of bread, so I baked two loaves of my buttermilk enriched and more whole wheat Grape Nuts Bread, which is one of my husband's favorites.

chocomouse
          Participant

BakerAunt, would you please post a link to your Grape Nuts Bread recipe; I have tried the search function and cannot find it. Thank you! I'm also wondering if the cereal stays hard and crunchy, or does it soften up a lot? And does it taste like Grape Nuts? We both love Grape Nuts, but gave it up years ago because it tends to destroy teeth!

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Here's the recipe, I found it using the 'advanced search' function with "grape nuts" in double quotes and searching the recipes forum only.

grape nuts bread

BakerAunt
              Participant

Chocomouse--I usually soak the Grape Nuts in the buttermilk for about an hour before I start. I think that also helps figure out the hydration. I have made a few changes since I posted the recipe, mostly by increasing the whole wheat flour and the liquid by a bit. I also have been using a combination of special gold and regular yeast, but it would probably be fine with just the regular.

I will add a note to the end of the recipe I posted with how I currently bake it.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I'm starting the Provençal rye from Ginsberg tonight, I'll bake it tomorrow.

I made the Grape Nuts bread once, I liked it but my wife thought it tasted too much like Grape Nuts, which she's not fond of.

RiversideLen
                  Participant

I had an overripe banana so I made banana waffles with it. I added the banana to the liquid ingredients, milk - egg - oil - honey, and liquified it with an immersion blender that I recently bought then added the dry ingredients, which was Arrowhead Mills pancake mix. It came out pretty good and I have leftover waffles for the next day or two.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I mixed dough on Sunday night for the KABC Gourmet Soda Crackers. In making the recipe this time, I realized that last time I added 5 oz. of water rather than 3 oz. No wonder the dough was goopy! I'm embarrassed to have made that error. I've added a note to last week's thread admitting it.

The dough rests overnight in the refrigerator, so I will bake the crackers tomorrow.

chocomouse
                      Participant

Thank you BakerAunt and Mike. I'm going to try it, after I get groceries next week and buy Grape Nuts.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

On Monday, I baked the KABC Gourmet Soda Crackers again. They are definitely better when I do not put too much water in the dough! 🙁

I used the same technique as last time in setting the oven at 400F convection. I turned it off with a minute to spare because they seemed golden enough. I will probably cut the time to 9 minutes next time, or 4 min. 30 seconds before turning the baking sheet around. As I did last time, I allowed them to cool in oven after I turned it off, and since my oven vents excess heat after being turned off, I did not have to worry about overbrowning, and I did not need to leave the oven door open. I did taste a warm one, and these are tastier than that first batch and brown more nicely. It may be worthwhile to keep the Italian-style flour on hand just for these crackers.

Janiebakes
                          Participant

I stumbled across a blog by a woman who was researching and updating recipes used during WWII rationing. She had read that people were much healthier during that time because of more wholesome eating. The pandemic messed with the supply chain here in Cleveland and it seemed like a good idea to see what substitutions and such would work depending on what was available in the grocery stores. Like so many, we had a hard time getting flour and yeast. The rationing recipe I started with was called Oaty Biscuits. I had a Costco sized box of rolled oats in the pantry so it seemed a logical choice. It used rolled oats but it also called for wheat flour. I subbed oat flour that I made from rolled oats in my food processor. Here is the recipe:

4 oz (115 g) margarine or butter.
                            3 oz (85 g) of sugar
                            7 oz (200 g) of rolled oats
                            5 oz (150 g) self-raising flour or plain flour sifted with 1 teaspoon of baking powder and a pinch of salt
                            1 reconstitued dried egg or fresh egg
                            A little milk

* Pre-heat the oven to 180C (350F) or Gas Mark 4.

* Grease two baking trays well or use parchment/baking paper instead.

* Cream the margarine/butter with the sugar until soft and light.

* Add the rolled oats and mix.

* Sift the flour, baking powder and salt and add the egg (if used) into the * mixture and mix well again before adding in a little milk to moisten. The dough should be stiff and quite dry but sticks together. Knead together. Use a cookie scoop to portion out 36 lumps of dough, roll into a ball, place on parchment and flatten with a fork or cup bottom. Bake for about 15 minutes, let cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes.

Subbing oatflour for the wheat flour worked great. I have also used brown sugar instead of white and that worked too. Next I want to try using molasses. These cookies are a little dry and go great with tea or coffee.

Italiancook
                            Participant

Interesting about the WWII recipes. Long before the pandemic, I purchased a series of 4 Great Depression recipe/Depression history books. Reading the stories was distressing, because I had relatives who were homeless during the Great Depression. So I gave away the books after reading the first one. I wonder if there will ever be a similar series for the pandemic.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

If you're interested in old recipes, there is a guy on youtube, Glen and Friends, who does recipes from old cook books, some of them are quite old. And Emmy Made In Japan often does depression era recipes as well as more modern odd recipes. She has also done prison recipes. I find them interesting.

Janiebakes
                                Participant

Thank you for the info on Glen and Friends as well as Emmy Made in Japan. There are a few hours of watching there! I watched Glen bake a cake and explain about the rarity of vanilla in the late 1880s recipes. Interesting stuff. I had never considered prison food. Could be a depressing topic too. It can be sad to consider what our relatives went through. The first half of the last century was pretty awful.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.