Mon. Sep 28th, 2026

chocomouse

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,606 through 1,620 (of 2,758 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Microbial Diversity of Starters #28407
    chocomouse
    Participant

      Good luck with the eye surgery tomorrow, Mike. You'll be back to baking better than ever, with more accurate measurements (ha!) now.

      in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of January 24, 2021? #28402
      chocomouse
      Participant

        Today I made No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Oat Bars (but putting this in the "What are you baking this week?" forum!). Quick and easy to make. I'd never made these no-bake cookies as a bar, and it was so much nicer - no pressure to scoop out dozens of little cookies before the dough hardened. Unfortunately, the peanut butter flavor was lost. I have another recipe that calls for the peanut butter and chocolate and oat mixture to be layered, so I'll try that one when these are gone.

        in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of January 24, 2021? #28398
        chocomouse
        Participant

          We had tomato soup with veggies -- made from scratch with veggies from the garden. and ham and pineapple quesadillas.

          in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of January 24, 2021? #28389
          chocomouse
          Participant

            Joan, that rye recipe is my favorite for basic sandwich rye bread. I now sub dill pickle juice for the liquid in most all of my rye breads. I think it contributes to the flavor and also helps the rise. I sometimes use pumpernickel flour, but a medium or dark rye works fine too. And I always substitute instant potatoes for potato flour.

            in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of January 17, 2021? #28364
            chocomouse
            Participant

              Joan, my layers are not as neat and trim as hers. I love making things that are shaped differently; it's a pleasant challenge. Many of them don't come out looking as good as the photos by the bakers show, but nevertheless, they are fun to do. Some just need more practice and care. I've made most all of the large fancy wreath-shaped baked goods, the sunflowers, the braids, etc. Some came out looking as good as the originals, and all of them tasted great. Before I retired, my co-workers were very happy to eat my experiments

              in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of January 17, 2021? #28361
              chocomouse
              Participant

                This morning I baked a new recipe from SmittenKitchen, Cinnamon Scones. The recipe is similar to others, but the shaping is what interested me. The dough is rolled out, half of it is sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon, then the other half is flipped over on top of it. Then rolled out again, and half sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon, and the other half flipped onto that. This makes layers of dough and filling, so the finished wedges are fanned out like the open pages of a book. Mine are not as pretty as hers, I need to practice, but they are delicious. They're very light and tender. I will practice more! I envision spreading a thin layer of jam between the layers, also.

                in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of January 17, 2021? #28338
                chocomouse
                Participant

                  Mike, I've had cataracts removed from both eyes. The easiest surgery I've had! My first replacement lens gave me 20/20 vision, but then when I had my stroke, one year later, I lost most vision in that eye. I can see light and dark, and vague shapes, but that's it, and it's permanent. A few years later, I had the other eye done, and have 20/20 for distance. I couldn't have the multi-focal lens implant because they are still trying to strengthen the left eye and get the two eyes to work better together. But, dollar store reading glasses work fine for reading. I'm sure you'll be happy with the results, but it will hardly seem like you've had surgery.

                  in reply to: Leftovers #28337
                  chocomouse
                  Participant

                    I also cannot stand avocados! I think it's the texture. But not sure I've had one in my mouth long enough to figure out if I like the taste or not! I have a lot of trouble with the texture of foods.

                    in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of January 17, 2021? #28310
                    chocomouse
                    Participant

                      We had boneless chicken thighs with Greek seasoning, broccoli salad, and smashed potatoes.

                      in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of January 17, 2021? #28290
                      chocomouse
                      Participant

                        Tonight I made quesadillas: ham, thin sliced onion and orange sweet pepper, pineapple bits, salsa, and cheddar cheese. They were excellent.

                        • This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by chocomouse.
                        in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of January 17, 2021? #28284
                        chocomouse
                        Participant

                          I made bagels this morning.

                          in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of January 10, 2021? #28274
                          chocomouse
                          Participant

                            We had spaghetti, with hamburg, cauliflower, dried garlic chips, chopped onion and celery (I forgot the green peppers); and a green salad.

                            in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of January 3, 2021? #28247
                            chocomouse
                            Participant

                              Great news! I think you'll be back to baking soon!

                              in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of January 10, 2021? #28232
                              chocomouse
                              Participant

                                I baked another Apple Caramel Cake -- it's just as tasty as the first one! And it came out of the medium size bundt pan and the 4 small bundts perfectly!

                                in reply to: Is Interest in Sourdough Waning #28212
                                chocomouse
                                Participant

                                  BakerAunt, you can add any leftover beer to your compost pile - it's good nutrients for the garden. Although I would not suggest serving it to your Aerogarden (when you get one!)

                                Viewing 15 posts - 1,606 through 1,620 (of 2,758 total)