Maple Sugar and Maple Syrup

Home Forums General Discussions Maple Sugar and Maple Syrup

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    chocomouse
    Participant

He got your order, BakerAunt, and assume he replied to you. Now you'll be able to expand your repertoire! For my husband's birthday, I gave him the maple syrup dispenser that KAF has been advertising heavily. We have purchased maybe 15-25 different containers over the years, specifically for syrup. None needed to be fancy, I just wanted something that would not drip all over the table and would keep the syrup covered in the fridge. None worked - they all dripped. We haven't used this new dispenser yet, but it looks like it might work better than most.

BakerAunt
      Participant

Yes, he replied to me, and I mailed the check yesterday afternoon. My rule with maple syrup is to stock up before supplies get too low. It's essential.

Let us know how that maple syrup dispenser works. It would be nice not to have drips, especially when measuring into tablespoons for recipes.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Chocomouse--The maple syrup arrived this morning. All the bottles did fine in the shipping.

chocomouse
          Participant

Thanks for letting us know, BakerAunt, and glad the USPS wasn't having their own little superbowl with packages. Enjoy! I think I replied about the syrup dispenser on another post, maybe under a cooking discussion. It works great! Does not drip! The drizzle/pour is a little slow, but the probably contributes to the non-drip and is fast enough for me.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Chocomouse--I got the maple syrup into glass jars and sealed on Sunday afternoon. Rhett's instructions were perfect. I used four jars that had once held Vermont Country Store maple syrup, which are about 3 cups, but with filling them to 1/4-inch headspace hold somewhat more. I was able to fill three jars completely. The other one did not have quite enough, but since we were ready for more maple syrup, I just put my plastic pour spout lid (Vt Country Store) onto the bottle and popped it into the refrigerator.

I did some taste testing, liking of used spatula when I finished.... Heavenly.

Today I'm using some of your syrup in Maple Granola.

chocomouse
              Participant

I'm glad you like the syrup and got it repackaged OK. I think that granola recipe you make is loose granola, not a sold bar, right? I've tried for many years to make a good solid cookie-like granola bar. I've used maple syrup, nuts, choc chips, oatmeal, coconut, sunflower seeds, etc, but never been happy with the outcome because they are either hard as a rock or crumbly. Any suggestions for me? Thanks.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Yes, I make loose granola.

I did post a marmalade oat bar a couple of years ago, which I seem to recall you tried. I recently made it with an oil substitution. However, they were crispy. Possibly if put in a smaller pan, the interior would be slightly chewy. When I was making the butter version, I often used mini-chocolate chips.

See this search result here:

https://mynebraskakitchen.com/wordpress/forums/search/%22orange+marmalade%22/

chocomouse
                  Participant

I did make that recipe about 2 years ago. I'm planning to make it in a week or two and send it up to the sugar house in a cookie (squirrel and mouse proof!) for my husband and son to snack on. I'll probably use raspberry jam since Rhett doesn't care for marmalade.

Does your pour spot drip? The syrup dispenser bottle I recently bought from KABC does not drip, and pours out a thick drizzle of syrup. We like it.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Yes, the pour spout does drip a little. I always set the Mason jar on a saucer, just in case. It probably pours out a little too much syrup at a time.

Is your syrup dispenser the one on the KAF sale page? It reminds me of one my grandmother had. I think she used hers for molasses. I am tempted to buy it.

chocomouse
                      Participant

Yes, BakerAunt, that's the dispenser I bought.

Here's a photo of our sugaring operation last year.

Drawing-off-syrup

chocomouse
                        Participant

Looks like that photo did not attach. Trying again.
                          Edit: And now we have two of the same!! Sorry about that.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by chocomouse.
                          • This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by chocomouse.
                          Attachments:
                          You must be logged in to view attached files.
                          Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Chocomouse that's an awesome setup!

RiversideLen
                            Participant

Chocomouse, that is a sweet setup! (yeah, pun intended)

chocomouse
                              Participant

It is an awesome, sweet rig! I have no idea how to run it. I loved the old-fashioned set up we had for 37 years (and my husband's father and grandfather used for I would guess, 50 years). That was when I hauled in armloads of logs and shoved them a couple at a time into the arch to keep the syrup boiling. And stuck a thermometer down into the boiling mass of sticky stuff to see if it was getting close to 219* yet. That's all done electronically now. We just need to monitor, in case something goes wrong. And it does -- every week it's something else! My husband and son have all the tubing hooked up to the trees now, and will start tapping tomorrow.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

That's some high dollar shiny stainless steel setup!Very nice.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 72 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.