What are you Baking the Week of January 24, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of January 24, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

Thanks, Mike, for the breakdown on dill products. I enjoy the flavor of dill weed, although a little bit goes a long way.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Having fresh dill in the Aerogarden is starting to have an impact on my cooking. We gave a bag of it to a friend and they used some in some tuna salad, so I added a little to the last of the tuna salad I made the other day. It adds a nice note.

We're going to move pizza night up to Thursday this week, since I have my first eye surgery on Friday. That way there will be left over pizza for dinner on Friday and Saturday, when I don't expect to be in the mood to cook much.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Mike I've had chicken salad with dill and it was delicious so I bet the tuna with dill would be good also.

Mike praying your surgery goes well,take care!

kimbob
          Participant

Speedy recovery, Mike.
            My friend's 70th birthday is tomorrow. I was planning on making a 6" maple pecan cake with cream cheese frosting. Yesterday, she got a free cake from stop&shop--pecan praline (they're the size of a giant cupcake). So, now I scrapped that idea and was going to make blondies. But since I have 2 bananas ready to go, I'll make her banana walnut bread. 🤷‍♀️

chocomouse
            Participant

Today I made No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Oat Bars (but putting this in the "What are you baking this week?" forum!). Quick and easy to make. I'd never made these no-bake cookies as a bar, and it was so much nicer - no pressure to scoop out dozens of little cookies before the dough hardened. Unfortunately, the peanut butter flavor was lost. I have another recipe that calls for the peanut butter and chocolate and oat mixture to be layered, so I'll try that one when these are gone.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I baked Bishofsbrot (Bishop’s Bread) on Wednesday evening. It is a kind of fruit cake with golden and regular raisins, walnuts, dark chocolate chips, and maraschino cherries. (The recipe is here at Nebraska Kitchen.) I always substitute in some barley flour, and I now use oil and buttermilk in place of the melted butter. I added 2 Tbs. Bob’s Red Mill milk powder this time. I used up some bittersweet chocolate chips and added enough Ghirardelli dark chocolate ones to make one cup.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Tonight was pizza night, a day early. I used 9 ounces of bread flour and 3 ounces of semolina in the dough this time, I think it came out really tasty, could have possibly stood another few minutes baking, that's always so hard to judge. I didn't get a picture, but it looked a lot like the last two.

I used more havarti and we put some cream cheese on part of it, probably better to use one or the other.

Italiancook
                  Participant

I had never heard of putting cream cheese on pizza, Mike.

I watched Julia Child make a Pain de Mie and Raisin Bread tonight. Interesting. She made one loaf by hand and the other in a stand mixer. By hand, she worked her dough much more than I do. She also let both doughs rest more times than I do as she makes it. She was a good teacher, because now I want a Pain de Mie bread pan! But if I had produced a raisin bread as dark as hers, I would have declared it burnt. She claimed the Pain loaf should be wrapped and refrigerated for 2 days before slicing. I guess the cold would retard mold, but I can't imagine I'd ever be willing to take a chance on the lifetime of the loaf.

So I pulled out my husband's jar of pickles to eyeball the juice for the eventual loaf of sandwich rye bread. I think the recipe calls for 3/4 cup, and there might be that much in the jar. So if I wanted to make this bread more than once, I'd need to buy another jar of pickles. Is that what y'all do? Or, do they sell pickle juice without the pickles?

kimbob
                    Participant

Made my buttermilk pound cake today with 4 oz cream cheese and cut the butter a bit. Used cake flour instead of ap. Really good.
                      Italiancook, I've never seen pickle juice for sale but you never know!

kimbob
                      Participant

Italiancook, found this recipe for making pickle juice.
                        https://shelfcooking.com/uses-for-pickle-juice

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Italian Cook--depending on the amount of rye, some rye breads should be allowed to rest 18-24 hours before being sliced. I'm not recalling the exact reason. Perhaps someone else remembers?

aaronatthedoublef
                          Participant

My deli rye needs to rest after it comes out of the oven for about 12 hours, at least, for the flavor to fully develop. It has about 1/4 cup of rye (don't have the recipe in front of me) but most of the flour is either bread or first clear.

Like BA I do not know why. Mike advised I do that and I suspect once he is recovering and back online he will explain it to us. I'll ask over at the BBGA too.

chocomouse
                            Participant

Italiancook, I was going to suggest you follow a dill pickle recipe and just make the juice, but now I'm going to check out the link Kimbob posted. If I have almost enough pickle juice, just not quite, I top it off with water. I've also used sweet pickle juice, entirely or partially, and find that works too, although I think I get a better "rye" flavor with the dill. I do add lots of mustard seeds, dill seeds, and caraway to get that rye flavor.

Italiancook
                              Participant

Thanks, kimbob, for the link! Thanks BakerAunt & Aaron for the info about letting the finished loaf rest before cutting. It's a good thing, chocomouse, that you told me to add water to top off the juice if necessary. I'd been planning I'd top it off with vinegar! LOL But water makes a whole lot more sense! Thanks, chocomouse. I now have all the seeds, although I could use more mustard seeds, because one loaf will use all I have. Now, I am waiting for the flour.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

The surgery went well, I'm one-eyed until tomorrow, but the left eye was pretty hazy for the past several months anyway. I don't think I'll be online a lot, though, I can't wear my glasses today because of the patch over my left eye.

As I understand it, the gelatinized starch in a freshly baked bread needs a little while to set. For a wheat-based bread, this is measured in minutes. For other grains, like rye, it is measured in hours.

I think of it like resting a roast after it comes out of the oven.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.