What are you Baking the Week of January 17, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of January 17, 2021?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I want to make laminated dough so I can try making cinnamon cruffins and fill them with cream cheese frosting. But it probably won't happen for a month or so, right now I just can't see well enough.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

Mike never heard of them so I googled them,looks so good.When is your eye surgery scheduled?
        Cwcdesign sure hope you are healing good and quickly.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

The left eye is next week, on the 29th, the right eye is two weeks later. The left eye is getting a lens that has variable focal ranges and corrects astigmatism, the right eye is getting a single (distance) focal point.

This may enable me to go without glasses at least some of the time.

Everybody I know who has had cataract surgery (a fairly large number, probably not so surprising since I''m 71) says they were pleased with the results. Right now I can't see well enough to drive, have trouble focusing on things up close, like cooking, and reading is something I can do a few minutes at a time. So I spend a lot of the day listening to the TV with my eyes closed.

cwcdesign
          Participant

Glad to hear your surgery is soon. I have heard the same thing from my friends and my mom who had the surgery. I would love to not have to wear glasses all the time.

I get my stitches out on Monday. I started therapy for my fingers yesterday - arthritis and i couldn't practice making fists as he wanted because the splint was in the way. 24 hours and I can see difference already.

navlys
            Participant

Wishing all goes well and that you will have new and improved vision. We need you.

chocomouse
              Participant

Mike, I've had cataracts removed from both eyes. The easiest surgery I've had! My first replacement lens gave me 20/20 vision, but then when I had my stroke, one year later, I lost most vision in that eye. I can see light and dark, and vague shapes, but that's it, and it's permanent. A few years later, I had the other eye done, and have 20/20 for distance. I couldn't have the multi-focal lens implant because they are still trying to strengthen the left eye and get the two eyes to work better together. But, dollar store reading glasses work fine for reading. I'm sure you'll be happy with the results, but it will hardly seem like you've had surgery.

Italiancook
                Participant

Hope all goes well with your surgery, Mike. My husband had both eyes done & it was a breeze.

I have KABC Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars cooling. They recommend covering & waiting until next day to cut for maximum flavor. I agree that's best. I used chocolate chips, cinnamon chips & walnuts. I don't really like chocolate with cinnamon, but my cinnamon chips are older & need to be used. If I have enough left, I'll use the last of them in KABC Cinnamon Bread. When they're all used up, if the weather is cold enough for shipping, I'll order a supply from Hershey's.

Italiancook
                  Participant

Forgot to mention: The Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars call for 11 tablespoons butter. I subbed 3 tablespoons of it with light olive oil. Finished product fine. Will do this again. This is the third time I've made these, so I know the oil didn't adversely affect them.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

To go with beef stew on Friday, I baked, with some changes, the Buttermilk-Rye Rolls from the King Arthur’s Whole Grain Baking. I changed the flour to increase the whole wheat by ¼ cup and the pumpernickel by ¼ cup. I reduced the AP flour by ½ cup. I reduced the potato flour from 3 to 2 Tbs., the yeast to 2 tsp., and the salt to 1 tsp. I used 1 cup of buttermilk rather than 1 ¼, and I proofed the yeast in ¼ cup water. I replaced 4 Tbs. butter with 3 Tbs. olive oil. I let the Zo do the kneading; the dough needed an additional 2 tsp. buttermilk. Both rises were an hour and fifteen minutes. The rolls are very good, but next time I would decrease the caraway from 2 tsp. to 1 tsp., as it overpowers the rolls. I might also bake them in a 10x10 pan next time, rather than the 11x11.

chocomouse
                      Participant

This morning I baked a new recipe from SmittenKitchen, Cinnamon Scones. The recipe is similar to others, but the shaping is what interested me. The dough is rolled out, half of it is sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon, then the other half is flipped over on top of it. Then rolled out again, and half sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon, and the other half flipped onto that. This makes layers of dough and filling, so the finished wedges are fanned out like the open pages of a book. Mine are not as pretty as hers, I need to practice, but they are delicious. They're very light and tender. I will practice more! I envision spreading a thin layer of jam between the layers, also.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Chocomouse I Googled the recipe ans saw the picture,looks good with the layers.

Today I had 2 small bananas for banana bread so I added some coconut I needed to use up and a half cup of Hershey's special dark cocoa and made 16 nice size muffins.I'm not icing these as they are good as is.

chocomouse
                          Participant

Joan, my layers are not as neat and trim as hers. I love making things that are shaped differently; it's a pleasant challenge. Many of them don't come out looking as good as the photos by the bakers show, but nevertheless, they are fun to do. Some just need more practice and care. I've made most all of the large fancy wreath-shaped baked goods, the sunflowers, the braids, etc. Some came out looking as good as the originals, and all of them tasted great. Before I retired, my co-workers were very happy to eat my experiments

cwcdesign
                            Participant

I bookmarked those scones for when I get my hand back. They look good.

Will made sourdough pancakes the other morning and they were delicious with your syrup!

BakerAunt
                              Participant

On Saturday, I made another batch of Maple Granola, adapted slightly from King Arthur’s Whole Grain Baking.

I also baked two loaves of Dark Grains Bread, adapted from the second edition of Bernard Clayton’s New Complete Book of Breads. I have been working with this recipe for a couple of years.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.