What are you Baking the Week of January 17, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of January 17, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No baking plans yet, bagels probably later this week.

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

I made bagels this morning.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I made the little chocolate cake one layer for my husband and a loaf of cinnamon bread KAf recipe for me.I shared my loaf with my SIL.It all turned out good I've had a couple slices of cinnamon toast for my snack tonight.
          I love making the chocolate cake it's all in one bowl easy peasy.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Joan Simpson.
          RiversideLen
          Participant

I made a pound cake from a Betty Crocker mix. I subbed walnut oil for the butter. It baked up real nice but it really doesn't remind me too much of pound cake. It tastes good, just not too much like pound cake. Maybe it's because I didn't use butter or maybe it's just the nature of that mix.

For dinner I made pizza with ground chicken and red bell pepper.

cwcdesign
            Participant

Will’s sourdough made in the banneton

Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.
              RiversideLen
              Participant

That looks real good, CWC.

I made a pepperoni pizza tonight.

cwcdesign
                Participant

It tasted really good too! Yum to pepperoni pizza

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Compliments to Will on a lovely loaf. Oh, to have a taste!

With Len, now three of us have made pizza in less than a week. That reminds me of the time when we were all baking cinnamon rolls.

On Monday, I made dough for another batch of my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers. Although I only baked the last batch a week ago, it is diminishing rapidly.

I also mixed the levain for Honey Spelt Sourdough Bread (King Arthur recipe) that I will bake tomorrow.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Cwcdesign Will's loaf of bread looks wonderful!

Italiancook
                      Participant

I'd enjoy Will's bread if you'd send it to me.

cwcdesign
                        Participant

not enough left to send 🤣

Italiancook
                          Participant

I saw the tail end of a commercial that made me laugh out loud. For M & M's. I mute commercials, so I don't know the words, but the final frame had a caption.

It showed a bag of M & M's inside an empty square baking dish. Caption read, "No baking required."

It must be targeted to the new pandemic bakers who're now tired of baking.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I haven't seen that commercial yet, I wonder if it is one of the Super Bowl ads, or a lead-in to one? The WSJ says this year's Super Bowl ads are going for funny over 'relevant'.

M&M ads have been pretty good over the years.

Burger King ads tend to be the bottom of the barrel these days, which is ironic considering that their 'Hold the pickle' ad is still cited as one of the best ever. Their 'Herb' campaign was one of the worst ever, sales went down! 'New Coke', which was initially cited by marketing experts as one of the worst ad campaigns ever, may have been successful in the long run.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

On Tuesday, I baked the Honey Spelt Sourdough Bread. The levain took a long time to develop; at twelve hours, it did not have that many bubbles, but four hours later, it was ready to use. The first rise took 90 minutes, and after 90 minutes, I thought that I was not going to get much more rise, so I slashed and baked. However, the top really burst open (slashing job could have been better), so it probably needed to be left to rise for another 30 minutes. I like this bread a lot, but I struggle to get it to turn out consistently. I bake it in the Emile Henry long baker, and I like how well it bakes. My issue seems to be with judging the rising times, which are much longer than the recipe states, but that may be the cold house. I made two changes to the recipe in that I used Bob’s Red Mill artisan bread flour for the cup of King Arthur AP, cut the salt from 1 1/4 to 1 tsp., and added 3 Tbs. special dry milk. I’m sure it will taste good when I cut into it for lunches tomorrow, but I would like to get a prettier loaf.

In addition, I baked cornbread to go with some of the leftover soup. I used my regular recipe, but I used half medium and half fine ground cornmeal, as I want to stretch out what I have left of the fine grind, as Bob’s Red Mill is not selling it anymore.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

Today I made cinnamon rolls,used the cinnamon bread recipe from KAF,didn't add potato flakes I subbed in a half cup of leftover mashed potatoes and added an egg.I had to add about 1/3 cup more flour,I ended up with 12 big cinnamon rolls in a 9x13 pan.I iced them with leftover icing that I had in the fridge.For the filling I just painted the surface with melted butter,added a light layer of brown sugar and sifted cinnamon all over and rolled it up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.