What are you Baking the Week of January 24, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of January 24, 2021?

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    navlys
    Participant

Glad all went well. Now time to rest.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

Glad you're doing well Mike,take care!

BakerAunt
        Participant

Glad that all is well, Mike.

cwcdesign
          Participant

Glad to hear you're on the mend!

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

They took the patch off today and the left eye is SO much better. I can actually see fine print on the computer screen and on the TV. The colors are brighter, too.

I get the other eye done in two weeks.

cwcdesign
              Participant

That's exciting, Mike!

chocomouse
                Participant

That's great, Mike! For me, the big deal was getting rid of the magnifying glass I carried in my bag, mostly to read ingredient and nutrition labels at the grocery store.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

On Saturday, I baked my Rye-Barley Crispbread. I wanted a cracker that would be around for me for a while. My husband usually avoids them due to the sesame seed. The recipe works so much better for me now that I just knead the dough by hand for 15 minutes after letting the stand mixer combine it.

I also baked my version of King Arthur’s Pompanoosuc Porridge Bread, once again baking it in the uncovered Emile Henry long baker. My version includes replacing 1 cup of water with a cup of buttermilk, which I stir into the cooked porridge (use 1 cup water and ½ cup of the dry porridge). I cut the salt to 1 ½ tsp. and the yeast to 1 ¾ tsp. I replace the sugar with 1 ½ Tbs. maple syrup and the butter with 1 ½ Tbs. olive oil. I let the Zo do the kneading.

By the way, King Arthur has the Pompanoosuc porridge back in stock.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

So happy you can see better Mike!

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I hadn't quite gotten to the point where I was carrying around a magnifying glass, but I have used my iPhone to take pictures of some product labels and blow them up to the point where I could see them. That's a combination of the eyes and the tiny print on some labels. And the ones with black ink on a red background are almost unreadable no matter what you do.

I won't know until after the 2nd surgery but there's a good chance I might not have to wear glasses all the time, possibly not even for driving.

chocomouse
                        Participant

I've wondered if advertisers, etc, realize that putting black ink on many colored backgrounds renders the ad impossible for lots of us to read? I suppose they think it's showing their technical talent.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.