What are you Cooking the Week of January 31, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of January 31, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

My, the end of January already!

We had fried cheese sandwiches and tomato soup for lunch today, using havarti cheese. Yummy! Costco has a big package of havarti cheese that is pre-sliced with paper between the slices, we've used up over a half of it in under two weeks.

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

For dinner tonight, I've made beef stew, using our favorite recipe from our days living in Germany. It calls for vinegar (to tenderize, as the German beef is quite tough) and caraway seeds, which give it a flavor people seem to love or hate. We love it.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I'm cooking cubed steak then putting it back in onion gravy, rice and creamed corn and a small hoecake of bread.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Joan Simpson.
          Italiancook
          Participant

I had a head of cauliflower that I'd normally use for cauliflower with pasta soup. But I'm weary of that soup. Instead, I made the Taste of Home Tuscan Cauliflower Soup. I didn't exactly follow the recipe. I used the whole head without measuring it. I used a quart of chicken stock, which was 3 oz. more than recipe called for. The recipe uses a pound of bulk Italian sausage & my husband had that in the fridge. By chance, I had the mushrooms for the recipe, and the cream. Recipe calls for 1 cup cream, but if I make this again, I'll use 1/2 to 3/4 cup. One cup made more liquid than I like in soup, but the extra chicken stock may have played a role. My husband and I both liked it, but with the Italian sausage, I won't make it often. But I will make it again.

kimbob
            Participant

Hamburgers and baked beans.

BakerAunt
              Participant

We had leftover soup from last night, a good dinner after my husband spent much of the day shoveling the more than 7 inches of wet snow we got overnight.

Note to Mike: There is a typo in the title of this thread. It says eek rather than Week.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

We had the last of the Brunswick Stew from the freezer on this cold windy day.

chocomouse
                  Participant

Leftovers here. I just finished off all the raw veggies that were still edible and put a little Ranch dressing over them. Hubby had a weird looking mess of stuff on his plate. Now I get to clean the bottom half of the refrigerator tomorrow.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I fixed the typo, I think.

Today we had salad from the Aerogarden with tuna fish. Still lots of salad left for tomorrow. We're eating salad a lot more frequently these days, too.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I made another batch of yogurt on Monday.

For Monday’s dinner, I roasted a chicken. I also roasted chunks of sweet potatoes tossed in a little olive oil, then finished at the end with a bit of maple syrup. We also had microwaved fresh broccoli.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

Yesterday I made cream of veggie soup (cauliflower, carrot, broccoli and potato flakes) from some turkey stock I had in the freezer. I had it with a sliced meatball pizza.

Tonight I will make a pepperoni pizza and turkey veggie soup. That will finish my stocks of turkey stock. I will miss it, it's been tasty.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Today I made meatloaf, mashed potatoes and seasoned green Italian beans.

chocomouse
                            Participant

Tonight we had meatloaf, baked potato, and winter squash. Great minds, Joan! And also, our mothers must have/had great minds also - my name is also Joan!

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

Chocomouse smiling here from one Joan to another.

chocomouse
                                Participant

Len, that soup sounds delicious! Did you whiz the veggies or leave them chunky? It's different. I usually just toss in a bunch of veggies and seasonings for plain vegetable soup. I have quite a bit of turkey stock left, plus a 15 pound turkey in the freezer I should think about cooking soon.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.