What are you Baking the Week of January 31, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of January 31, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I need to make semolina bread soon, maybe today or tomorrow.

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

I made 18 small plain white flour dinner rolls. Yesterday I made two loaves of our usual buttermilk whole wheat oatmeal sandwich bread.

cwcdesign
        Participant

Now, Nathaniel down in New Zealand is baking! yesterday I sent him a KABC link to the pretzels and beer cheese - he and I had not had success making one we liked - this one had the addition of cream cheese. so he asked if pretzel bites were easy to make - I said yes, but he needed to read through the recipe first and get all his ingredients measured and ready, then it would be easy (he and I both have the habit of starting recipes before everything is ready). he used his girlfriend's kitchen aid and it all came out well

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Cwcdesign yay for Nathanial.

BakerAunt
            Participant

It's always nice to welcome another baker into the world! I hope Nathaniel will be inspired to bake more.

I baked an apple pie on Monday evening, using twelve of the old-fashioned Winesaps we have stored in the garage. For the streusel crust, I replaced 4 Tbs. butter with 1 Tbs. butter and 2 Tbs. grapeseed oil. That let me do a complete streusel recipe on top. I decided to try the convection setting for the pie, and it baked in about 45 minutes, with good bubbling of the filling. We will have it for dessert tomorrow.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I made a batch of semolina bread today, so we had sandwiches on that for supper, plus I had some more salad.

chocomouse
                Participant

I baked an upside down apple cake this morning. I use a 14 inch diameter pizza pan that I do not use for pizza, so that it made a rather thin cake that was nice and crispy on the edge and top. I poured a thin layer (might increase this amount next time) of caramel sauce in the greased pan, and arranged sliced apples in a circular pattern to cover that. I daubbed the cake batter over that and sprinkled with sparkling sugar. I flipped it out of the pan as soon as it came out of the oven; any excess caramel in the pan I just scraped out and distributed over the apples. It is very good.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Chocomouse the apple cake sounds wonderful.

skeptic7
                    Participant

I did pumpkin scones with candied orange peel and fresh cranberries. I managed to forget to put in the honey but the orange peels was so loaded with sugar that it still taste fine.

Italiancook
                      Participant

I baked blackberry muffins. My addition to the recipe said to use 1 cup + 1 tablespoon buttermilk. I measured out that amount at the beginning. When I was near the end, I happened to notice that the cookbook says to use 3/4 cup milk. Without thinking it through, I poured 1/4 cup of the buttermilk into the grease jar. Now that I've eaten one muffin, I realize I should have ignored the cookbook and stayed with my note, since I was using buttermilk! This is the kind of thing of which frustration is made!

BakerAunt
                        Participant

On Thursday, I baked two loaves of my adaptation of Len’s buns recipe, or what I call Rye/Semolina/Whole Wheat Bread. My change is to substitute 75% buttermilk for the water.

kimbob
                          Participant

Yesterday baked KAF sandwich rye bread. Nice and soft. Didn't put caraway seeds or dill seeds in because my husband doesn't like them. I love caraway seeds. Sigh I'm thinking of getting ground caraway and using that next time for more flavor. I need more sandwich sprinkle (great mix) from penzeys anyway. Time for an order.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

I sympathize, Kimbob. My husband is also not a caraway fan. The pumpkin rye bread that I bake from Stanley Ginsberg's recipe calls for grinding the spices (includes caraway). I find that it contributes to the overall flavor without being blatant.

I like the sandwich sprinkle in the quinoa salad that I make. It's a Penzey's recipe, but I substituted with what I had on hand.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Today I tried adapting my recipe for "Orange Marmalade Oatmeal Crunch Bars," which I posted here at Nebraska Kitchen in 2017. The amount of butter is prohibitive for me now, but I had about 6 Tbs. of orange marmalade in a jar that I wanted to finish, not to mention the need for some cookies around here that accord with how we now eat.

I made a half recipe, as there was a jar of orange marmalade in the refrigerator that I wanted to finish. For 5 Tbs. melted butter, I used 1 Tbs. plus 3 Tbs. canola oil and 1 Tbs. water. I also deleted the coconut (my husband does not do well with it, and it is high in saturated fat, so I should be eating it only in extreme moderation--if there is such a thing). I used an 8 ½ x 11 ¾-inch jelly roll type pan (measuring the bottom) that I lined with parchment. I would have liked a slightly smaller one I baked 15 minutes. I should have cut them immediately, but I let them cool for about 20 minutes. Fortunately, a large knife, pressed down onto the line, worked well, although I had some crumbling. I suspect my husband will sneak one tonight. I had a crumbly piece that tasted fine, and they have a nice crisp bite.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

I made a batch of my sandwich buns.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.