What Did You Bake the Week of October 2, 2016?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What Did You Bake the Week of October 2, 2016?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

On Sunday, I baked Wheat-Oat Flax Buns (KAF recipe) to use for sloppy Josephines. On Monday, I baked two loaves of Buttermilk Grape-Nuts Bread (recipe posted on this site), as we were out of bread. On Tuesday, I mixed up the dough for my Sourdough-Cheese Crackers. It's a KAF recipe that I adapted by adding cheese powder and deleting salt. I baked them on Friday evening. Not only is it more convenient to rest the dough in the refrigerator for a few days, but the dough is easier to work with, and the crackers have better texture. On Friday, I also baked Orange Sesame Muffins--a recipe I haven't made in years--to use up some evaporated milk. On Saturday, in honor of our first few days of cooler weather, I made the first pizzas of the season, using our favorite thin crust pizza recipe from KAF. I also baked a new recipe, Maple Pound Cake with Maple-Rum Glaze, from the latest KAF catalog. It calls for their new unbleached cake flour, which I do not have, but I do have Bob's Red Mill unbleached cake flour (it's of a finer consistency than regular flour), so I used it. We will have it for dessert with Sunday dinner. I baked it in my Nordic Ware Autumn wreath pan. The glaze really helps the design stand out.

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

I baked 4-1/2 dozen Oatmeal Raisin Cookies, using the recipe on the lid of an old Quaker Oats box. I gave away 2-1/2 dozen of the cookies. We enjoyed the rest.

I also baked Cranberry Banana Nut Bread, which has been discussed in a couple of threads during the week.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I had some pumpkin left from pumpkin roll so I found a recipe for Pumpkin Bars on KAF site but I made it into a cake instead of bars.It was so good I used 2 8 inch pans and the recipe called for adding golden raisins and some chips but I didn't add those.The cake had a good spicy flavor of pumpkin and the texture was great.The longer the cake sat the better it was.Iced with my own recipe of cream cheese icing.I also didn't add nuts as called for on top I love pecans but my husband doesn't so I omitted that.If you want a truly fall tasting cake try this.

aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

It being the week of Rosh Hashanah I made challah. I made it extra sweet and with a sweet egg wash instead of my normal one. Then I sprinkled sparkling sugar on top. I also added an extra egg but that was by accident. I had four out warming - three for the dough and one for the egg wash - and without thinking put all four in. I did not add apples (which I've done in the past) because I was rushing and out of time (hence the accidental extra egg).

I made two round loaves each almost two pounds and took the nicer looking one to my cousins' for dinner.

I won the family challah competition and did not even know there was one!

Also my wife and kids like the sweeter version better so it looks like I will be making that from now on.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Update: The Maple Pound Cake with Maple Rum Glaze was very good. The Nordic War pan in which I baked it caused it to spread out more (nature of the wreath pans that are 10-inches wide) than it might have done in a 9 or 10 cup pan that is not as wide and is deeper. The glaze made it very moist. I'm not sure that the texture was that much different from any other cake I've baked with regular flour. We liked it, and I will bake it again--especially since I need to use that unbleached cake flour.

luvpyrpom
              Participant

Didn't do much baking - made a batch of KA Honey Bars as a retirement gift for my dog's groomer as it is her absolute favorite. Also tried a new recipe - Beef Curry Puffs. Beef curry wrapped in puff pastry. It's was a great hit at work and at home. Now I just need to experiment to see if I can thaw out the puff pastry, make the puffs, and then refreeze. I"ll just have to make some and see how they turn out at a later date.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.