What are you Cooking the Week of May 12, 2024?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of May 12, 2024?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I know we're doing lobster tails for supper tonight, and I have dessert made, and I boiled eggs for deviled eggs, but no other side dishes planned yet. Maybe a salad or some steamed broccoli?

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there1

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I made Salmon Patties again, as Scott does ok eating those after his oral surgery, as long as he crumbles it up. He had more of the applesauce I thawed, and he managed a piece of bread. To go with my salmon patty, I had roasted asparagus, mushrooms, and cherry tomatoes. Scott does not care for asparagus, so he does not mind my relishing the first asparagus of the season.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I blinked last week and most of my asparagus went to seed already. I did get a few stalks and might get a few more, but the bulk of them were already 2 feet tall and branched out.

I didn't plant this asparagus patch, I planted one in the back yard and it didn't take, but one showed up in the front yard a few years later, probably courtesy of the birds.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Sorry you missed the asparagus in your yard, Mike.

For dinner on Monday, I made a vegetable frittata, using my new, deep Staub 8 ½ -inch diameter skillet. I checked Kenji Alt-Lopez's The Food Lab, but he does not have a frittata recipe. I looked online and used, as my base recipe, "Garden Frittata with Goat Cheese and Potatoes," by Kayla Howey. I used organic yellow potatoes rather than fingerlings, as that is what I have. I replaced the peas and fennel bulb with my leftover roasted asparagus, cherry, tomatoes, and mushrooms from last night. I used 1% rather than whole milk, which I do not have. I had to cook it about seven minutes longer, perhaps due to the extra vegetables that I added. It made a tasty meal, and I have enough left over for three lunches. My husband had another crumbled-up salmon patty, a thin piece of bread, and more applesauce.

The frittata stuck around the edges and sides of pan, which required a soak, then a scrub. Next time, I will rub the sides with olive oil as well.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

We had the keto-friendly pizzas for supper tonight.

RiversideLen
              Participant

Yesterday I made pork tenderloin on the BBQ. Had it with broccoli, baked beans and couscous. For tonight's dinner I had some leftover rotisserie chicken and brussels sprouts and carrots and a little pasta.

navlys
                Participant

I had leftover bruschetta mix so I roasted some chicken and I poured the whole shebang over noodles.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

In an effort to give my husband some diet variety as well as protein, for lunch on Tuesday I tried adapting a carrot soup recipe that I got from Glamour many years ago. I adapted it, since he does not eat onion and does not care much for curry, although I can get the latter by him when it is a background in the spice blend that I use for my chicken or turkey broth. I used about 15 oz. of carrots and 3 cups broth and cooked the carrots until they were softened. I then used the stick blender, which even in a high pot made some mess. The carrots probably needed to cook longer. I blended in ½ cup Greek yogurt, then added 3 1/2 Tbs. maple syrup. We both had some. I would say it is ok but not ready for prime time. However, my husband was happy to have an additional item he could eat.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I roasted sweet potato chunks and mashed them for my husband to have with his crumpled salmon patty on Tuesday and for the next day or two. I had another slice of the frittata I made yesterday. We agreed that the Banana Chia Seed pudding was even better today.

I also made yogurt.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

If he likes cheesecake, the on-the-stove cheesecake filling I used for my keto-friendly cheesecake (using allulose instead of sugar) is a good recipe, and if you allow it to warm up to room temperature it is really soft. Just skip the crust for him. (I sprinkled a few chopped pecans on the excess filling, Diane loved it.)

The recipe is on this YouTube page. Turn off your sound first, the soundtrack is really annoying.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Dinner tonight was a salad (mine had tuna), two deviled eggs and a slice of cheesecake.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I haven't made a carrot soup with it, but I have a juicer that does a pretty good job grinding up the carrots, making it easier and faster to cook them. I have used the juicer to make vegetable stock. (I strained out the pulp from the veggies afterwards.)

I've mainly used the carrot juice to make carrot vinegar and have used the carrot pulp in a carrot cake that was really good. (That'd be a tricky thing to make low-carb, though.)

chocomouse
                            Participant

BakerAunt, here's my favorite Duchess (carrot-cheese) soup ingredients, which seems like it would be good for your husband. I did not include the instructions, but I know you can figure it out. You could thin it down if need be. I sometimes add some ham and potato cubes to make a chowder.

1.5 C shredded sharp process American cheese
                              Cheddar cheese (optional, to taste)
                              ½ C coarsely shredded carrots I increase this to 3/4
                              ½ C chopped celery
                              ¼ C chopped onion
                              ¾ C boiling water simmer the veggies in this 'til tender

3 T butter
                              ¼ C flour (with the butter, to make a roux)
                              2 C milk
                              1.75 C chicken broth (13.5 oz)

RiversideLen
                              Participant

Last night I made Mexican style, a combination plate. A taco, enchiladas, tostada, rice and beans. For the filling I sauteed some bell and jalapeno pepper, onion, tomato and pork tenderloin. The sauce was mole from a jar. All in all, not bad.

Mexican-Style

Attachments:
                                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                                Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

I looked at Rick Bayless's recipe for mole. Aside from the fact that it called for several ingredients I've never seen in a store (even the ones that cater to the Hispanic community here), it was a very complicated recipe with lots of ingredients.

I've had his mole at his Chicago restaurant; it is very good, but I doubt I'd have the patience to make it. Mole from a jar seems good enough for me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.