What Did You Bake the Week of May 15, 2016?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What Did You Bake the Week of May 15, 2016?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

On Thursday, I baked Peanut Butter Honeys, a cookie recipe that Mumpy posted on the Baking Circle. I used half white whole wheat flour, and dropped them with my tablespoon scoop. It made 25 thick little cookies that are not too sweet. My husband and I both liked them a lot. They stay soft.

On Saturday, I set out to bake my stepdaughter's graduation cake for her party tomorrow. The first recipe did not end well, maybe because I am using the Wilton mini-tier pans, and there may have been too much batter for the pans, or I did not bake them long enough, since the two smaller ones (5 inches and 6 1/2 inches) fell in the center. The larger one (about 7 1/2 inches was fine--until a copy of Sift slid down on top of the cooling cake and left a very large dent. After a certain amount of screaming and stomping, I relegated the smallest one to our dessert tonight, and I froze the other two for future use as chocolate trifles. I then pulled out the recipe I should have used all along, since I know it will fit those pans: Susan Purdy's Anna's Swedish Butter Cake--chocolate variation. I used Double Dutch Process cocoa, and this time, I substituted in 1/2 cup of buttermilk. The three layers came out well, and I think that the buttermilk was the key to getting the taste I wanted. I also used Gold Medal flour to get a more tender cake, and I used the Baker's sugar (extra-fine). I'm about to do a second recipe so that each tier will be two layers. Tomorrow it will be frosted with a white chocolate-cream cheese frosting. It's her favorite cake--because of that frosting, so I want the cake to be worthy of it, and I think it finally will be. (I make it for her birthday every year).The decoration will be simple: some little items from her school will be the cake top decoration,

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

We made a batch of gluten-free cornbread.

I've bookmarked the Anna's Swedish Butter Cake recipe in Susan Purdy's book.

We went to a wedding today and the cake (from a local supermarket's bakery department) was definitely not a WASC or even something like the 'elegant white cake' in the KAF Baker's Companion. I was thinking of trying another 'blondie' version of the Texas Sheet Cake, but maybe I'll try the Swedish Butter Cake instead.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Mike Nolan.
        • This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Mike Nolan.
        Italiancook
        Participant

I baked Mike's Oatmeal Crisps. I was going to give them to my butcher and his colleagues as a thank-you gift. But hubby liked them so much I gave them to him. He was sold on the crispiness. I liked that they aren't full of chocolate chips. I have to severely limit chocolate now for medical reasons. I'll make these again sometime for a taste of chocolate without overdoing it. The recipe says not to use quick oats. Nevertheless, I did. All I had. They were quick, not instant and seemed to work just fine.

Also baked KAF Classic Whole Wheat Bread. I wanted to try their Baker's Special Dry Milk. Haven't cut it yet, but it's obvious I let it over-rise. The recipe said to allow 1-2 hours for final rise. Because it had taken 2 hours the first time I tried this recipe with regular dry milk, I set timer for 2 hours and walked away. Big mistake.

I can press on the top crust and push it down. There's a gap between the bread and the crust. I realize now I should have tested the dough with my finger long before 2 hours. The Special Dry Milk does make the dough rise. I'm going to have to make another loaf to be certain of my theory.

omaria
          Participant

I made an apricot-almond cobbler. Wonderful tart flavor ! I used a 12 inch cast iron skillet in place of the 10 inch the recipe called for and also increased the amount of apricots from 1 1/2 lbs to over 2 lbs. Baked it for 70 minutes.
            We ate a slice after dinner and again this morning with our coffee.The rest I cut in to wedges and froze them. Hopefully they won.t be soggy when I defrost them.
            Now I have to think about an other baked goodie to use up some more apricots. Made 11 jars of jam too ! Maybe something with puff pastry!

RiversideLen
            Participant

I recently bought a 6 cup bundt pan. I've found it's the right size for me and I'm always looking for ways to use it. On Friday I made a chocolate cake,

chocolate cake

and a rye bread,

RiversideLen
              Participant

and a rye bread.

Rye Bread

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

My mother often doubled the amount of chocolate chips in the recipe. I think the recipe is better with regular oats than with quick oats, just like I think it's better with Crisco than with butter, but I'm glad you liked them.

My mother typed out copies of this recipe on recipe cards for all of us years ago, she added some hand-written notes to mine that make it one of my most precious possessions.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

I baked a fresh peach cobbler and some corn bread.

Italiancook
                    Participant

Mike, I "flash froze" 15 of your cookies. I thawed out 4 in the microwave today, using 20-second intervals. Mike, freezing them made them even better than they were the day they were baked. I understand now why you said they were better the next day. Thanks, again, for the recipe.

luvpyrpom
                      Participant

Just made a simple family's recipe for Apple Cake. Full recipe to bring to work and half recipe for home.

Sandra Alicante
                        Participant

Rather a lot, as it happens! I baked around 60 frosted cup cakes and a 4 tier Birthday cake. I tried to add a pic but it got squished, but I did post on Randy's blog, so you can see it there or

http://createinspain.blogspot.com.es/2016/05/my-idea-of-birthday-cake.html

skeptic7
                          Participant

I baked spinach pizza and KA sausage and cheese biscuits. The last was interesting and I was teasing a friend that he couldn't eat it sober. I could barely stand to buy the ingredients sober, 3/4 lb breakfast sausage, 1/2 cup butter and 1 cup cheese, are just overwhelming in the amount of fat. They were tasty and full of fat. I took them to a Martial Arts Class Sunday and they were well recieved there. Oh I gave the last two to my friend, who had them with a shot of vodka.
                            I also made a foccacio with oregano leaves in the dough and topped with rosemary sprigs.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.