What are you Cooking the Week of October 10, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of October 10, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No cooking plans here yet.

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

It's going to be leftover chicken, maybe with a side of pasta, not sure yet.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I fired the smoker up today and smoked pork chops and hamburgers,I brushed the chops with BBQ after they were done,with that we had baked sweet potatoes and baked beans.

cwcdesign
          Participant

Smashburgers on home made buns with salad

BakerAunt
            Participant

On Sunday, we had leftover black-eyed peas with rice and ham--no complaints here!

I made yogurt today.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

We wound up having a lavash pizza on Sunday using some of the left over meat sauce from Friday's spaghetti, I also added more mushrooms and some artichoke hearts. It was very good.

BakerAunt
                Participant

On Monday. I made tomato sauce from what will be the last large batch of tomatoes from our garden. I threw in a “ringer” tomato that we brought back from the family reunion. I cooked the sauce in my new 4-qt. All-Clad sauté pan with lid (but did not use the lid when cooking the sauce), which I found Friday at T.J. Maxx for the very good price of $119.99 (yes, for All-Clad that is a very good price). I had $40 in gift cards that I applied toward the purchase. For me, it is worth every penny.

Dinner on Monday was Salmon and Couscous, seasoned with Penzey’s Greek Seasoning, and yet more green beans from our garden. I doubt there will be enough for another meal, but we still might get a few to put into a soup.

chocomouse
                  Participant

We had grilled salmon, baked potatoes, and asparagus from the freezer for dinner tonight. I rubbed the salmon with a garlic-citrus rub (fairly hot and spicy) and then brushed maple syrup on it for the last 4 minutes.

BakerAunt, I envy you "one last picking" of anything from the garden. We're finished gardening, and most of the plants are pulled up. It was not a great year, but our freezers are full!

RiversideLen
                    Participant

BA, I bought a number of copper core All-Clad pieces about 20 years ago, so I know the prices and agree that you got a good deal. I got deals on mine, the salesman told me to not to buy it that day but to come back on Friday and I would get extra off the already sale prices. I think my total savings was more than 40% but I still spent a small fortune. It's good stuff and should last a lifetime.

Tonight I had the last of the leftover chicken, made white rice, broccoli and carrots. Also made a gravy out of the remaining pan juices, that was really tasty.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Len--about what size was the chicken you roasted in your Dutch oven? I'm thinking of giving it a try. I think that it would keep my oven cleaner!

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Tonight I pan fried some bacon and sausage,steamed squash and onions and green bean.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

BA, the chicken was 4 pounds but I'm sure any size would work, just have to adjust the cook time. The only thing about cooking the chicken in a covered Dutch oven is the skin won't get crisp but you can crisp it up under the broiler as I did with the leftovers. I saw some youtube videos where they would roast the chicken covered for about an hour and 15 minutes and then uncover it for 30 more but when I checked it after an hour 15 or 20 minutes it was done. But that was OK, it gave me some real nice very gelatinous broth and a tender and moist chicken. I started it in a cold oven and brought it up to 400 degrees. And I agree, this will help to keep your oven clean.

navlys
                            Participant

I took the pasta from a leftover restaurant meal and with a little ground beef, onions and peppers and a little of this and a little of that ,I turned into a meal. And my husband had SECONDS!!!

BakerAunt
                              Participant

On Tuesday I roasted an Autumn Frost squash, a new variety for me:

https://www.panamseed.com/plant_info.aspx?phid=058800001025662

I have been having difficulty at the farmer’s market finding butternut squash of any larger size. I’ve bought some smaller ones, but the larger ones are not to be found. A vendor told me that their butternut squash never grow that large, so they have starting growing Autumn Frost squash, which are of a similar flavor. I pureed the roasted squash and will try it in a soup tomorrow.

Scott pan-cooked pork for Tuesday dinner. I cut up and roasted some little Honey Nut squashes that we grew from seed from ones bought last year at the farmer’s market. We also had microwaved frozen peas.

chocomouse
                                Participant

I cooked a pork roast in the tagine with Moroccan spices, along with potatoes, carrots, onions, and apples. Another traditional autumn meal at our house.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.