What are you Cooking the Week of June 27, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of June 27, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

My husband pan-cooked pork for Tuesday dinner. I roasted cut-up red potatoes tossed in olive oil and Penzey’s Mural Seasoning. For the vegetable, I had bought a cauliflower at the Farmer’s market, so I made “Sheet Pan Cauliflower with Parmesan and Garlic,” from The Mediterranean Diet Cookbook for Beginners. It was my first time roasting cauliflower tossed in olive oil. I replaced the minced garlic with garlic powder, since the fresh garlic would burn at high temperature. The Parmesan I sprinkled on it after it came out of the oven did not melt. Next time, I would put the pan back in the oven with the Parmesan for a few minutes after adding it. I did not get the caramelization because I used parchment paper. (I am not willing to clean up a sheet pan. My husband had seconds, so I would make it again if I get another good cauliflower at the farmer’s market.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

More leftovers here.

Janiebakes
        Participant

We had leftovers yesterday to clean out the old fridge, new once came today. Joan everytime I read your dinner menu I remember the delicious food cooked at home by my friends in Charlotte. Lovely traditional Southern cooking. BA, today I roasted carrots with butter, garlic and parmesian cheese, much like your cauliflower. Never thought to roast carrots before. I was not going to scrub cheese off the sheetpan either so I lined it with foil. A certain amount of cheese stuck to the foil. Next time and there will be a next time they were so good, I am going to use a Silpat and see if that stops the sticking. The dish is roasted at 450 for about 20-25 minutes so everything has a bit of char on it including the fresh garlic I used.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Chocomouse white acre peas are a small pea almost same as zipper pea.Light green in color and cooks up almost off white or yellowish.I fry a strip or two of a good smoked bacon or ham chunks add water then add peas to cover good and cook till done.I also add a chicken bouillon cube to most cooked vegetables.This is our favorite pea.

Janiebakes I cook the way I was raised,my husband doesn't like change so I cook very basic according to some.yep, I'm southern through and through and that's OK.So If anyone stops here to eat you'll be getting some love and lard lol.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Tonight we had fried cubed steak,macaroni and cheese and steamed cabbage.

chocomouse
              Participant

We had a wild thunderstorm with torrential rains pass through here about 4:00, but I was able to dry off the deck chairs so we could sit on the deck to enjoy the flowers and birds while grilling. We had boneless pork chops, roasted potatoes with Greek seasoning, and winter squash from the freezer.

Janiebakes
                Participant

Spent the day with the grandchildren and came home good and tired. BLTs and cantaloupe for for dinner tonight.
                  Joan, I had a friend in Texas who said his favorite way to eat was "plain food, cleanly cooked". I think that is true for a lot of people. Both my parents are Hungarian so I am not scared of lard! My dad grew up in the country and his family raised two pigs every year. The "meat pig" and the "grease pig".

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I made four 8 oz. jars of black raspberry jam on Thursday, using the berries from our terrace. My husband has brought me a few from one of the woodlands, and there are still berries ripening, so I hope to be able to make at least one more batch. I told him that if he would get on board with picking in the woodlands, I would can some black raspberry pie filling…. Unlike last year, the weather has been ideal for berries. Our area had five inches of rain at the end of June with enough sunshine as well. I love my Ball jam maker, which does all the stirring for me. It is perfect for small batches.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Today we had roast and gravy from the freezer,mashed potatoes and green butter beans.Your jam sounds delicious BakerAunt.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Dinner on Thursday was stir-fry, using the leftover pork, soba noodles, carrots, celery, green onion, red bell pepper, a small yellow bell pepper (from our garden!), mushrooms, broccoli, and snow peas (also from our garden).

chocomouse
                        Participant

Dinner was egg salad sandwiches, on the last loaf of bread in the house! Now I'll have to bake tomorrow, heat wave or not.

I've never heard of a jam maker, but will look that up. I rarely make jam, because my husband doesn't eat it and I don't need it. If I'm really wanting some jam or need it for a special recipe (like those Apricot Oatmeal Bars, made with any kind of jam), I'll make a batch of refrigerator jam, which is almost as good.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

This is what I have, Chocomouse:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ball-FreshTECH-Automatic-Jam-Jelly-Maker/19611667?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=1479&adid=22222222420449455996&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=501107745824&wl4=aud-1272570811843:pla-293946777986&wl5=9016235&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=19611667&wl13=1479&veh=sem_LIA&gclid=CjwKCAjwz_WGBhA1EiwAUAxIcXa7iyqVcQBI7kJju-NZ29rp6ZPXIi1qC6EGE7klzLmmhy2-mAvw7hoCO5EQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I bought mine at a sale from Chef's Catalog (I miss that company). Not having to stand over a hot stove stirring makes it worth my while. I still need to put the jam into jars and process it with a large Ball electric kettle (the one that just heats water, not the fancy electronic canner they also make which has too many bells and whistles).

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

We had a lavash pizza with the usual ingredients (tomato chunks, artichoke hearts, mushrooms) plus some Canadian bacon.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

I made yogurt on Friday.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

We had a bowl of chili from the freezer,fries and grilled cheese sandwich.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.