What are you Cooking the Week of June 27, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of June 27, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

We're probably still in leftover mode today, need to clean out the fridge a bit.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I wanted a lighter lunch on Sunday, given the carb heavy breakfast, and I had a recipe, Balsamic Chicken, White Bean and Carrot Salad, from a recent Washington Post email from “Eat Voraciously,” written by Stephanie Witt Sedgwick. I adapted it by not first poaching a chicken breast—I opened a 10 oz. can—and I did not cook the carrots in boiling water until crisp tender. (Note: both steps, which then throw away the water, waste nutrients.) I was going to stir fry the carrots, then thought, what the heck, and used them raw. I had 16 oz. of white beans that I had cooked a while back, and I had thawed them in anticipation of making the recipe. The combination of ingredients, along with the dressing of balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, chives (I used dried), sugar, and a bit of pepper and salt, is tasty and goes well with crackers. I like the crunch of the uncooked carrots. I will file this recipe for summer lunches.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

We had breakfast for supper...Sausage,eggs,grits and toast.

cwcdesign
          Participant

We’re having pizza in honor of my husband - we were married 40 years ago today - lots of fresh veggies from the garden for toppings

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Congratulations on 40 years, we'll be at 49 in September.

BakerAunt
              Participant

CWCdesign--it is always important to remember and celebrate.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Congratulations Cwcdesign on your 40th anniversary!

cwcdesign
                  Participant

Sadly, Mike, I got there without Michael - I don't know if it still counts if you're not there together - we did make it to 31 together.

That's why I usually say - it would have been our 40th or whichever - or we were married 40 years ago - I think those are more accurate.

But, thank you all for your kind thoughts.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by cwcdesign.
                    Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Cwcdesign,with or without him I hope you had a great day.He just missed out!

Today I fried a boneless chicken breast we shared,candied sweet potatoes and green beans.We're not big meat eaters so we usually share what ever meat I cook.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I think there is some confusion among the group. CWCdesign's husband passed away nine years ago. I am glad that she celebrates their special day and the years they had together.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Dinner on Monday was Salmon and Couscous with Greek Seasoning. It is so hot and muggy that I tried cooking it in the countertop convection oven at the same temperature for the same time. It came out so well, that I will use the small oven whenever it is just the two of us eating the salmon.

cwcdesign
                          Participant

Thanks BA 😁

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Big hug Cwcdesign.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

Today I made meatloaf,mashed potatoes,sliced tomatoes and leftover white acre peas from the freezer.

chocomouse
                                Participant

Joan, I'm curious about "white acre peas". I lived in Savannah for two years, and don't recall seeing or eating or hearing of them. After looking it up on Google, I guess I've decided they are what I would call "green beans". They are not at all like our northern green peas, but they look more like green beans. How do you cook them?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.