What are you Cooking the Week of January 29, 2023?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of January 29, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Whatever we have for supper tonight, it'll probably be something from what's available here, too darned cold to make a trip to the store!

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

This Sunday afternoon, I am making another batch of yogurt.

I also am making turkey broth, using the bones from this week's turkey and the frozen ones from our New Year's Day turkey. I am thinking of making turkey and wild rice soup tomorrow for lunches.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I took one container of Brunswick Stew from the freezer, so no cooking for me..gonna watch some football playoffs.

cwcdesign
          Participant

I have been reading, but not posting lately. Last Monday I made a grain bowl with roasted vegetables from Barefoot Contessa's latest book Go To Dinners - it came out well - it was pretty much a blueprint recipe where you can change up all sorts of things. It said it served 4 - Will and I ate large amounts the first night, then I had another Tuesday and Wednesday and then I turned what was left into a version of tabbouleh and had dinner and lunch on Friday.

Last night I made Cianfotta (Mixed Vegetables) a recipe I got from a cooking class with Nancy Verde Barr before Nathaniel was born! It's a stovetop braise in a way, very simple - garlic, onion, potato, peppers and tomatoes, but you can always add other things like eggplant or zucchini. Last night I added Tuscan Chicken Sausage and green olives - dinner again tonight.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Supper tonight was creamed tuna on biscuits. Back to the playoffs!

chocomouse
              Participant

Dinner tonight was a seafood casserole (shrimp, lobster, and "chowder fish" which is the trimmings from various cuts of fish in the seafood department) on rice and cole slaw.

RiversideLen
                Participant

I made a turkey breast (a Butterball boneless) and had it with chicken veg soup.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

On Monday, I adapted a turkey and wild rice soup recipe, which means that I did not use a stick of butter, plus 2 cups of half and half and some flour. I used a cup of low-fat evaporated milk instead. It was ok, but it needed the 2 Tbs. of sherry. Alas, the pantry was bare. I need to buy another bottle for recipes I use that require it. I will have the soup for lunch throughout the week, which works well because we are having very cold temperatures.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

We had a beef and pea pod stir fry tonight. Not sure how many more pea pods I'm going to get from the Aerogarden, but I'll probably replant them when I redo that garden, probably in a month or two.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

We went grocery shopping today so it was an easy supper of grilled ham and cheese sandwich and fries.

cwcdesign
                        Participant

It was up to 70 today after being in the 40's on Saturday night. With the heat, neither of us felt like cooking. I made another recipe out of Ina's new cookbook - a Greek Orzo Salad which was quick, easy, light and tasted great - a keeper.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

We had fried salt pork, rice and tomato gravy with dried lima beans.

Cwcdesign I like Ina, the salad sounds great.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

For dinner Tuesday night dinner, I made an impromptu pasta dish using some mushroom noodles that I bought at T.J. Maxx back at the end of September. I sauteed red bell pepper, lovely winter carrots from our farmers' market, and a pound of mushrooms in some avocado oil, then added the cut-up leftover turkey, the leftover gravy, and some parsley and pepper. After I mixed in the cooked noodles, I mixed in some shredded parmesan. We have enough for tomorrow, and maybe for a lunch the following day.

Usually, I would have added some sliced celery, but when we last grocery shopped at the town northeast of us, the Kroger was out of the organic celery. I did not check for non-organic, as I could buy it locally. However, when we went to the store today, there was no celery. I am wondering if the rain and floods in California are affecting some of the vegetables I would usually be able to find.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

I had leftover turkey, mashed tater, broccoli and carrots, cake for dessert.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

6 of the 7 states in the Colorado River Compact came to an agreement on reduced water usage, California was the lone holdout.

Agriculture accounts for 80% of the water usage.

It'll probably now be up to the Bureau of Reclamation to assign water quotas to each of the 7 states. The politics will be intense, I'm sure.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.