What are you Cooking the Week of January 2, 2022

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of January 2, 2022

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

For lunch on Wednesday, I made my variation on the Black Bean Pumpkin Soup from the Smitten Kitchen website. That means I first cooked a package of Bob's Red Mill Black Beans that I soaked overnight. I used a can of fire-roasted tomatoes this time (yum), and I used 2 cups of the fairytale pumpkin puree that I made on Monday. The recipe calls fora half cup of sherry, but I only had a quarter cup, and I think that I prefer the more subtle flavor. I also further reduced the cumin to 1 tsp.; The original recipe calls for 1 Tbs. plus 2 tsp., but my digestive system prefers less rather than more cumin. I had been using 1 tsp. plus a quarter teaspoon. I love this soup and have enough for lunches into next week.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

We had sausage,eggs and toast.I haven't felt well the last couple days ,went to doctor and have the lovely covid again.But this too shall pass.I sure don't feel as bad as the first time.

chocomouse
        Participant

Joan, I'm so sorry you have Covid again!  Good to know you don't feel as bad as before. Take care of yourself.

We had omelets and muffins for dinner tonight.

RiversideLen
          Participant

Joan, I'm wishing you a speedy and complete recovery.

For me, a proper soup is simply a vehicle for lots of veggies and noodles.  🙂

I haven't been there in a long time but on the mezzanine level of Water Tower Place (Chicago) they had a food court.  When you entered you were given a card (like a credit card)  and there were about a dozen or so food stations, each one different.  For example, an Asian style stir fry station, pasta station, burger and fries etc etc.  You would place your order and they would fix the food for you and take your card and swipe it.  You paid at the cashier when you left the place.  There was a common seating area but a couple of them also had their own seating.  Anyway, one of the stations was soup, they would have 4 different soups everyday and they were all different from day to day.  You could get unlimited or just a bowl.  I used to love going there and getting the unlimited soup for lunch, usually have 2 and 1/2 bowls.  Those soups were great.

Yesterday I roasted a small eye of round and had a sandwich and soup.  Tonight I'm having the same thing except I'm using chicken broth from a box but the same veggie line up (kale, carrot and celery).

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

We had a Zoup outlet near us, but it closed at the start of the pandemic and never reopened, the location is now a WingStop.

There have been two soup-and-salad restaurants that I know of here, neither lasted very long. One was in a rather expensive downtown location, far too large for their clientele. The most recent one made all their soups from the same soup bases (one beef and one chicken, both made from commercial mixes, I'm sure), both of which had garlic in them so my wife couldn't eat ANY of their soups. (At least Zoup always had at least one and usually two or three garlic-free soups on the menu.)

I ate at the International Soup Kitchen in NYC once (before Seinfeld made it famous), it was an interesting concept: soup, roll, a piece of fruit. Fast table turns, too. But my NYC friends tell me fame ruined it.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I tried to figure out how much it costs me to make a big pot of vegetable beef soup once, starting by making my own beef stock. The answer was somewhere around $3.00 a bowl (plus or minus about 75 cents), but that was a good five years ago.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Sorry to hear you're down with Covid again, Joan, and I hope you get better soon. We're keeping our fingers crossed here as the numbers are skyrocketing, the city's covid meter is back in the red. My wife will be working from home for the next three weeks.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

We had BBQ sandwich and fries.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Get better soon, Joan.

RiversideLen
                      Participant

I took some turkey bones from the freezer and made a small batch of broth. My dinner was the same I've had for the last several days, beef sandwich and turkey veggie noodle soup,

BakerAunt
                        Participant

On Friday, I made applesauce with the last of the Doud-Greening and Ida Red apples (seconds) that we bought in November. I froze two containers and set aside the rest to have with dinner for a couple of nights. I also made yogurt.

For dinner on Friday, I made Stuffed Acorn Squash, using a carnival squash that I bought at the farmer's market in December. I roasted the halves at 375F for 50 minutes, then stuffed them with a mixture of browned ground turkey, bulgur cooked in chicken broth, and sauteed carrots, celery, mushrooms, and green onion. I grated some Parmesan on top, then roasted for an additional 14 minutes. I had read that carnival squash is a sweet squash, but this one had a flat to slightly bitter taste. I was glad that I had applesauce to accompany the stuffed squash.

When I was using our queen acorn squash last year, we noticed that some were sweet and some were slightly bitter, so I am wondering if acorn squash is always a gamble.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

We had some friends and their kids over for supper so we went with Vals pizza.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

I made a small pot of chili yesterday.

I'm feeling OK just tired.Thanks for the well wishes.

Mike the new look is good!I was surprised when I got on here today!

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

I'm getting used to it.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

No cooking tonight...peanut butter and jam sandwich.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.