What are you Cooking the Week of January 2, 2022

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of January 2, 2022

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

A new year, anything new happening in the kitchen?

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

We had ham sandwiches and fries.Our son is still here,he will be leaving tomorrow morning.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Leftovers and salad here

chocomouse
          Participant

For dinner tonight I made a new recipe posted by the Cozy Cook, a Ground Beef and Broccoli which I served on orzo. It was OK, not very flavorful, I would increase the ginger and garlic.

BakerAunt
            Participant

We had leftover pork loin roast, butternut squash, kale, and barley. We will finish it tomorrow.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Tonight we had tomato soup and fried cheese sandwiches.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I have had a fairytale pumpkin since October, a kind that I had never bought before but was recommended to me by the people at the farmer's market who sell me my other pumpkins. I decided on Monday morning to roast and process it. I cut it in half vertically, removed the seeds, then roasted at 325F for two hours. Although it released a fair amount of water (somewhere between three and four cups total), there was plenty of pumpkin pulp to puree in the food processor. (The pumpkin has a small seed cavity.) Before pureeing it, I put the pulp in a wire mesh strainer and allowed water to drain. I am going to experiment and bake another pumpkin pie with it, as well as baking and cooking some of my other recipes. The pulp is comparable to what I would get from pie pumpkins in texture. I also froze some of it.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I doubt I'll ever make another pumpkin pie, we both think the sweet potato pie I've been making is better.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I do not like most pumpkin pies I have encountered. However, I love my version of my Mom's pumpkin pie. Part of it is the fresh pumpkin and part of it is my selection of spices. It is also has less saturated fat than many other versions. My husband has pronounced my version his favorite, although he will eat slices of other pumpkin pies at which I turn up my nose.

RiversideLen
                      Participant

When I make pumpkin pie, I season it only with cinnamon and vanilla extract.  The flavor is perfect.  There is something in traditional pumpkin pie spice that does not go well with pumpkin.

Yesterday for dinner I made a small pizza with spinach and red bell pepper.  I took a container of turkey stock from the freezer and made soup to go with the pizza.  For the soup I included a little turkey meat (from the freezer), some celery, carrot and chopped kale. The soup came out great.

soup

Unfortunately, it was a single serving.

Attachments:
                        You must be logged in to view attached files.
                        Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Traditional 'pumpkin pie spice' has cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, ginger and sometimes allspice.

I use only cinnamon and nutmeg in sweet potato pie. (Some recipes don't call for any spices.)

Clove may be the troublemaker in pumpkin pie spice. It has to be used sparingly.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

Your soups look like mine, the broth is overwhelmed with other ingredients.

I made some potato soup once that used was so thick that when I went to reheat some the next day I could turn the pot upside down and it stayed put.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

I am also a fan of thick soups!

Tuesday night dinner was my adaptation of my Mom's hamburger stroganoff. I put in extra mushrooms and extra nonfat yogurt (replaces sour cream) this time in order to use those two ingredients up.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

Tonight we had char grilled chicken breast,baked sweet potato and green beans.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

We had fresh bagels with some cream cheese and a salad.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.