What are you Cooking the Week of January 16, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of January 16, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm contemplating several possibilities for supper, a pork loin, ham or some kind of beef, macaroni and tomato dish, though that might be too similar to what we had last night.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

We're going to have sausage,scrambled eggs and toast for supper.

chocomouse
        Participant

Dinner tonight is beans and hot dogs! A traditional Saturday night dinner in New England, but we're having it on Sunday.

BakerAunt
          Participant

For Sunday dinner, I made coleslaw--a double recipe as that was the size of the head of cabbage. This time, I think that I nailed the dressing, using a half teaspoon salt per recipe and 2 tsp. Penzey's roasted onion powder per recipe. Our main dish was the Oven Crispy Fish and Chips with Dill Tartar Sauce.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I went with the pork roast, with some onion, celery, carrots, a diced apple, a few small potatoes, some of the liquid from the tomato relish, and some fresh parsley and rosemary, with a sprinkle of thyme. So far it smells great.

RiversideLen
              Participant

I had leftover schnitzel, ravioli (ricotta and spinach) and broccoli.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

The pork roast was good, the pan sauce/gravy was OK, adding mustard might have helped.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Tonight was ham from the freezer,rice and tomato gravy with garden pea salad.

chocomouse
                    Participant

Dinner was spaghetti with a green salad and garlic knots from the freezer.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I made freekeh cooked in turkey broth to go with chicken cutlets that I briefly soaked in buttermilk then coated with 1/3 cup panko mixed with 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning, and some shakes of onion powder, sweet curry, and freshly ground black pepper. I roasted it in the countertop convection oven at 400F for 20 minutes, and it was perfect. We also had leftover coleslaw.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

Yesterday I made a cheese pizza. For the dough I used 25% each of durum and semolina and 50% whole wheat and hydrated it at 70%. Since I was making a single serving I made it in the food processor. The dough came out great, very easy to handle. I was able to stretch it out very thin by hand. I had the leftovers for lunch.

Today I'm making a small rib roast. Doing the ATK method of roasting it at 250f.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I made pizza bagels for supper. This time I added some mushrooms to the filling, because I had a bit more space than last time since these were 4 ounce bagels rather than my usual 3 ounce ones. I still cut out a little of the bagel to widen the center a bit. I topped them with some mozzarella and some 3 cheese blend that I got at the grocery store. (I'm still searching for a replacement for the 4 cheese blend we used to get at Sams.)

There's been a discussion on thin crust pizzas on the BBGA forum, one recommendation is to use a lower hydration dough and press it really flat. Bagel dough might work for that.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Last night we had turkey from the freezer, I made turkey sandwich and fries.

Tonight I plan on making chargrilled chicken breast with candied sweet potatoes and green butter beans.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

For lunch on Wednesday, I made Spanish Chickpea, Spinach, and Bulgur Stew, a recipe that I adapted from "Spanish Chickpeas and Spinach Stew" on the Penzey's website. I used tomato sauce made from our tomatoes from the freezer, and I also had chickpeas that I had frozen, so the initial prep work was done long ago. I add chopped carrots and red bell pepper; I think that they counteract the acidity of the tomatoes. I reduce the cumin and the cayenne to what I can tolerate but leave the paprika alone. I also use fresh garlic. I used 12 oz. frozen spinach rather than fresh. I cook 1/2 cup bulgur in a cup of water and stir it in at the end rather than serving the stew over grains. I have enough for lunches for the rest of the week and into next week.

I also made yogurt on Wednesday.

cwcdesign
                                Participant

On Tuesday, I made some Korean style tacos from HBH which were fun, easy and good. I cooked the flank steak (short ribs were the other option, but too pricy) in a marinade in the crockpot, sliced thinly, then broiled to caramelize the sauce. The go withs were a cabbage slaw with cilantro, green onions, a little bit of pepper with lime juice, rice wine and soy sauce, a yum yum sauce and a slightly doctored salsa verde. I would definitely make them again. We had enough for leftovers last night.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.