What are you Cooking the Week of February 26, 2023?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of February 26, 2023?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

Happy Birthday, Joan. So glad your special day was special!

BakerAunt
      Participant

I had bought some napa cabbage at the farmers' market--a new ingredient for me. I decided to improvise a stir-fry dinner using it on Thursday. I started with an online Martha Stewart recipe for "Stir Fried Chicken with Bok Choy." I had leftover chicken from the one I roasted on Sunday, so that cut the preparation. I sauteed chunky mushroom slices and chunky pieces of a yellow bell pepper in avocado oil. I then added the sliced napa cabbage and cooked it down before adding the leftover chicken. I adapted the sauce by replacing rice wine vinegar (which I do not have) with white wine vinegar and increasing the light brown sugar from 2 tsp. to a full tablespoon. Instead of using fresh, I mixed ¼ tsp. garlic powder and 1/8 tsp. ground ginger into the sauce. I almost forgot to add the water, since Martha Stewart recipes never list it as an ingredient but only put it in the instructions. I whisked in 4 tsp. cornstarch, since I was not doing the step of dredging uncooked chicken breast in it. My stir-fry then took on a "Fusion Cooking," vibe when I stirred in some cooked farro (1/2 cup dry before I cooked it). My husband is not an adventurous eater, but he really liked the meal, so I will be making it again.

cwcdesign
        Participant

A belated Happy Birthday Joan - glad to hear it was a nice day😁

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Thank you all for the birthday wishes I really enjoyed my day.

Tonight we had fried cubed pork,seasoned green beans and a baked sweet potato.The pie I baked the other day has held up well,the meringue weeped very little.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

We had fish and broccoli tonight.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Tonight we had homemade Sloppy Joe's over mashed potato and garden pea salad.

BakerAunt
                Participant

We had leftover pork and sweet potatoes accompanied by a salad made with lettuce and spinach that my husband has grown on our enclosed porch with the Grow Lights.

chocomouse
                  Participant

I made Duchess soup for our supper and extra for the freezer.

RiversideLen
                    Participant

I had a pork chop with pasta and broccoli.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

We had theatre tickets so we had a simple supper of tomato soup and fried cheese sandwiches last night.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

I roasted a butternut squash on Saturday and made Curried Butternut Squash soup for lunch by adding a cup of turkey broth, ½ tsp. Penzey's Now Curry, and about 1 Tbs. yogurt to it. Stick blenders are great!

Dinner tonight will be the leftover chicken, napa cabbage, and farro "fusion": stir-fry.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

We had BBQ chicken with gravy to go over rice and macaroni and cheese.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.