What are you Cooking the Week of February 19, 2023?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of February 19, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I picked a lot of pea pods the other day, I think there will be a stir fry for supper tonight.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

We had grilled cheese and fries.

cwcdesign
        Participant

Will's making chicken fried rice - it smells so good!

chocomouse
          Participant

Tuna sandwiches!

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Hamburger steaks with onion and mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes and leftover butter beans and squash.

chocomouse
              Participant

Dinner tonight was salmon on the grill, baked potatoes, and roasted mixed veggies.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

We had chili again tonight.

BakerAunt
                  Participant
                    chocomouse
                    Participant

Dinner was meatloaf, whole kernel corn, and broccoli.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Dinner on Tuesday was large lima beans cooked with a meaty ham bone from the freezer. I added 1 Tbs. dried onion and 1 tsp. thyme, along with some black pepper after the beans were done. I removed the bone, cut off the meat and put it back in with the beans. I cooked brown rice separately, and I sauteed separately chopped orange bell pepper and celery in olive oil, then added kale and a little bit of turnip greens, along with more olive oil. I mixed it all together in the pot with the beans. I added 2 tsp. of cider vinegar to balance the greens. We have at least four more dinners from tonight's meal.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

We had fried cubed pork, mixed greens and potato salad.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

I made my "Every Six Days" batch of yogurt on Wednesday.

I use a candy thermometer for the temperature of the milk. I have to bring it to between 112-120F and keep it there for ten minutes in the first step of the process. The markings are coming off of the candy thermometer, which I clip to the side. Does anyone have a suggestion of a thermometer that would not have these issues, and that I could leave in the milk while heating it and for the ten minutes of keeping it at temperature?

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I recently bought a Thermoworks ChefAlarm to replace my CDN candy thermometer. Like many digital thermometers, it has a clip that allows the probe to hang on the side of your pan without touching the bottom. (And it came in purple.)

I've used it a few times for cooked sugar candies.

It comes in a nice pouch that makes it easy to store in a drawer without the cord getting all tangled up.

cwcdesign
                              Participant

I love my ChefAlarm (mine's green). I use it for everything - the pot clip is useful. I even use it to manage my cooking in my fast slow cooker.

Italiancook
                                Participant

cwcdesign, regarding use in your slow cooker: Does the ChefAlarm probe fit into the meat to let you know when the meat is done?

I have a problem with my new slow cooker in that it cooks meat faster. I don't like removing the lid to check temp with Thermapen, because the cooker takes a while to get back up to temperature.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.