What are You Cooking the Week of December 26, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of December 26, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I don't usually cook the day after Christmas, but I made a batch of yogurt today.

I also made broth from the bones of last night's roast chicken.

Sorry--I meant to start this thread in the Cooking forum.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Leftovers here, and I moved this topic to the cooking category.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

We did have eggs Benedict (mostly) for lunch, though on Semolina bread, not on English muffins.

The Hollandaise came out very good, even if I was afraid for a while it would never thicken.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Last night our son grilled steaks and we had baked potato and broccoli casserole.

Tonight we had turkey sandwich and fries.

RiversideLen
            Participant

I did my Christmas dinner on Sunday. I made a boneless spiral sliced ham, mashed potato, asparagus and cranberry sauce. Everything was good. Tonight will be leftovers with a baked sweet potato.

BakerAunt
              Participant

On Tuesday, I roasted an Autumn Frost squash (50 minutes at 375F, upside down). I used my stick blender to combine the puree with a cup of turkey broth left from Christmas cooking, and a little bit of water. I stirred in half a cup of Fage Greek yogurt, and 1 1/2 tsp. Penzey's Now Curry then warmed the soup over medium heat. It goes well with the crackers I made yesterday. I have enough for a couple more lunches.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Our son grilled ribeye steaks and we had a baked potato.

navlys
                  Participant

I boiled some TJ's red pepper soup and added meatballs and filled pasta pillows. A little spice here and a little spice there and ....not bad.

chocomouse
                    Participant

That sounds good on a cold winter day, navlys.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

No cooking here heating up leftovers of dressing,turkey,greens,sweet potato casserole,cranberry sauce and I did bake fresh corn bread.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

We have been subsisting on delicious leftovers. On Thursday we had the rest of the roast chicken, bulgur cooked in chicken broth, and microwaved frozen mixed vegetables.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

We had leftovers tonight, too, my wife had one of the blintzes our son made for lunch yesterday, I had some of the prime rib cut up on a salad.

We've probably got enough leftovers to get us through the weekend.

My wife had one of the tangzhong cinnamon rolls I made for Christmas Eve earlier today, she said it softened up nicely when heated up in the microwave. That's definitely a keeper recipe.

Here are the two recipes I started with:
                            tangzhong cinnamon rolls
                            KAF tangzhong cinnamon rolls

For quantities I mostly used the first recipe but I did make a few changes:

1. I added about a quarter cup of sugar to the dough.
                            2. I made a compound butter for the filling, using about 6 tablespoons of softened butter rather than 4. I find that easier to spread on the dough than putting on butter and sprinkling on the cinnamon/sugar mixture.
                            3. I rolled the dough out to about 22 x 16, next time I may roll it out to 24 x 16.
                            4. For the cream cheese frosting I used an 8 ounce package of cream cheese with 3 tablespoons of butter, so the cream cheese is more prominent than the butter in the taste profile. I probably used too much powdered sugar, the frosting is quite stiff.
                            5. I wound up getting 17 rolls. If I had rolled it out a bit wider I could probably have gotten that to 20 rolls which would have fit my pan better. I used a 7 blade pastry cutter to score where to make cuts, then made the cuts with a bench scraper.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

I like the new color Mike.

Tonight we had taco salad.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

I took some turkey bones from the freezer and made a small batch of stock. I used some of it for gravy and the rest is portioned and in the freezer.

Tonight I had the last of my leftover ham, mashed potato and gravy, broccoli and carrots. The gravy came out very tasty.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

I made yogurt on Friday.

For dinner, I made salmon and couscous with Penzey's Greek Seasoning, which we had with microwaved frozen peas.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.