What are you Cooking the week of December 20, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of December 20, 2020?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I made our potato leek soup for tonight using the vegetable stock I made and froze a few weeks ago, normally I use chicken stock. It made a subtle difference in the flavors, a bit lighter and I could taste the tomato that was in the stock, I don't use tomato in chicken stock.

I made some minestrone once using Trader Joe's vegetable stock, which I thought had an odd flavor that affected the soup. My home-made vegetable stock was good enough by itself that I could have seen serving it like a consomme. I need to make more.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

Tonight we had BBQ pulled pork, coleslaw and baked beans.

kimbob
        Participant

Per mom's request, Christmas dinner is lobster tail. I'll make clarified butter, fries, and coleslaw.

cwcdesign
          Participant

We had delicious salmon with a maple mustard glaze for dinner last night with roasted broccoli and brown rice and some of the maple apple cake for dessert

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Christmas supper for us was just a regular meal, we had meatloaf, macaroni and cheese and greens that was already cooked from the freezer, lemon pound cake and cookies our neighbor gifted us.

cwcdesign
              Participant

The salmon was for Christmas Eve. We had eggs Benedict for breakfast with homemade English Muffins. Dinner was a charcuterie board with Wills sourdough baguette and some sparkling Cava

BakerAunt
                Participant

For Christmas dinner, I made maple-glazed pork tenderloin and mashed potatoes, which we had with some of the applesauce I made earlier this week. We also had microwaved frozen peas and carrots. Dessert was pumpkin pie.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

We had taco salad today.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

We had leftover pork tenderloin and mashed potatoes, accompanied by frozen broccoli that we microwaved. I keep frozen broccoli around to put with cooked noodles, etc. I do not really like the taste of cooked frozen broccoli alone, but we are low on vegetables.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

Cooked frozen chopped broccoli actually goes fairly well with macaroni and cheese.

skeptic7
                        Participant

I wanted to try something different for Christmas. I had been thinking about this recipe for awhile.

I cooked one rack of ribs with the spice mixture as shown. I left out the salt to get a salt-free spice mixture. I also had Baked Lentils -- this is supposed to be Lentils with a baked bean flavor. It was tasty enough but a lot more mild than a true New England baked bean recipe. However it cooked in about 2 hours on the stovetop as opposed to all day like real baked beans. Also the recipe said DO NOT use the little French lentils, but that was all I had. I'd like to do this again but with more molasses and mustard and other baked bean seasonings.
                          https://www.washingtonpost.com/recipes/barbecue-baked-lentils/17495/

I had this with kale and sweet potatoes.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.