What are you Cooking the week of December 20, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of December 20, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No cooking plans for the day, not even sure what we're doing about Christmas here. If I can find a non-brined turkey breast, I may make that.

We usually do oyster stew and chili for Christmas Eve, but with just two of us that sounds like too much work. I'm leaning towards making potato leek soup, possibly with the vegetable stock I made a few weeks ago. (Otherwise I'll have to start by making chicken stock.)

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

I heated some of the roast-n-gravy from the freezer,we had that with mashed potatoes on top of toast,easy.

I don't know what I'm doing for Christmas either as it's just the two of us also.

kimbob
        Participant

We had ravioli and meatballs. Christmas eve we always do hors d'oeuvres.

BakerAunt
          Participant

We had leftovers tonight.

On Sunday, I roasted two more pie pumpkins, scooped it out of the skin, pureed it, and set aside enough for my Christmas pie. I froze another container with enough for another pie, a container with enough for sweet rolls, and 2.4 oz. that was left to be used with something later on.

I'm planning maple glazed pork tenderloin for Christmas day. Christmas Eve used to be a time when we would do crackers, cheese, beef stick, carrots, etc. I have had to drop that wonderful food. I may set it up so that we have something leftover for that night.

cwcdesign
            Participant

My broccoli cheddar soup is almost finished - I'm a little late since I watched a Christmas movie. I haven't made it in a few years and it's perfect for tonight.

There will be 3 of us for Christmas (test for guest was done yesterday). We've figured out our simple menu - salmon (probably grilled), broccoli and rice Christmas Eve; Eggs Benedict Christmas brunch (late breakfast) and a charcuterie board, stuffed dates and whatever other appetizers we decide to have for Christmas dinner. We haven't decided sweets yet. I work Christmas Eve 10-6 and the day after 9:30-5:30, so simple is good and Will does so much of the cooking which is great.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I found a turkey breast that wasn't loaded with brine or salty stock, so that's what I'll make on Christmas, with potatoes, stuffing and gravy.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

We had leftover chili and I made home cut fries to go with it.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

My husband wanted Oyster stew so that's what we had tonight.

RiversideLen
                    Participant

Yesterday I made meatballs for dinners through Thursday.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I made another large soup at lunch time, similar to the last black bean one that I made, but this one had the rest of the potato water from last week, and I upped the old cayenne to 1/4 tsp. and added 1/8 tsp. cumin. It hits the spot on my need for something spicy and gives me lunches for the rest of the week.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Today I made a double batch of Pastry Cream which will go in a trifle for Christmas Eve.

I made it using my induction burner and it thickened MUCH faster than it does over a gas flame, not sure why, but that's what happened when we made pastry cream in pastry school, too, even though we were making about four times as much as I was making today, so it must have something to do with how the heat is distributed in an induction pan.

We also have several sweet potatoes baking for a Sweet Potato Pie, which I'll probably make tomorrow.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

I used leftovers and made lima bean soup with that we had a grilled bologna and cheese sandwich.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Joan Simpson.
                            BakerAunt
                            Participant

After dinner, on Wednesday, I made a batch of applesauce from the last of the seconds that we bought in early November. We will have it with Christmas dinner.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

I need to see if I can still get Jonagolds, they made a pretty good strudel and a GREAT apple pie. They don't store well, though, so they're usually not in the stores for a long time, and I've only seen them at one of the stores we shop at. There are some other varieties I'm unfamiliar with in the stores this year.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Christmas Eve dinner was salmon with couscous and Penzey’s Greek seasoning, accompanied by microwaved frozen peas and carrots. I chose this entree because it is a one night meal and requires little hands-on time. We also like salmon.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.