What are you Cooking the Week of December 12, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of December 12, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

My plan for today is to make French onion soup, starting by caramelizing about 10 pounds of onions in the oven.

BakerAunt
      Participant

I made applesauce on Wednesday. I used 3 lbs. each of organic Gold Rush and Jonagold apples. I will freeze most of it. I saved the water that cooking the apples produced. I use it for my oat bran cereal (1/3 cup of oat bran, 1/2 cup of apple juice, and 1/2 cup of milk. I add raisins and walnuts before eating this breakfast treat. It is a change from just steel-cut oats.

My next project will be to make another batch of yogurt. I broke one of the six jars last week and have nothing of the correct size, so I will reduce the recipe to make 5 jars. I found some jars at Lehman's that should be the correct size and have ordered them, so I hope they will work. I had to buy a set of eight. If they do work, it will give me a chance to make yogurt before I empty out the last jar.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

We had taco salad today.

chocomouse
          Participant

I made stuffed spaghetti squash, with our usual pizza ingredients.

cwcdesign
            Participant

I made chicken tenders by combining the baked panko from BA’s oven fried fish and chips and a tender recipe that dredged the chicken in buttermilk first and then in the crumbs. I seasoned the crumbs with ranch herbs, salt and pepper. I spritzed the, with oil before baking. They worked better than the other recipes we’ve tried. I made baked brown rice, sautéed spinach and honey mustard to go with.

BakerAunt
              Participant

CWCdesign--I like the idea of using buttermilk rather than an egg before dredging in the toasted panko and will try that next time. I may also use a bit of Penzey's Ranch dressing mix with the panko.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I needed to use up some cherry tomatoes and black olives and remembered a recipe from the short-lived Penzey's One 2.4 (2007) for Herbed Pasta with Feta and Cheese which I used to make for fast dinners and lunches. I made it today for lunch and will eat it for lunch the next few days, as the herbs put it out of my husband's digestive comfort zone, and he does not care for black olives. It should have had angel hair pasta, but the only whole grain pasta I could find locally was thin spaghetti, so I used it instead. Leftovers can be reheated or eaten after coming to room temperature.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

I made chicken pot pie tonight and I added a Biscotti recipe to recipes BakerAunt it uses very little oil-no butter.

Italiancook
                    Participant

I made a pot of Cauliflower-Pasta Soup to keep from needing to cook for a few days.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

Last night's onion soup was a bit strange, the onions never got soft, even though I cooked them in the oven for nearly 6 hours and boiled them in the stock for another two hours after dinner. It was edible, just a bit crunchy.

Tonight we had artichokes and bagels from Panera. I would have made bagels but we didn't come up with what she wanted for supper until nearly 5PM. Maybe I'll make some tomorrow.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Thank you for posting the biscotti recipe, Joan. I will give it a try.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

I made a roasted salmon filet in a cast iron pan. Just seasoned it with a little kosher salt and garlic powder. Roasted it at 425 degrees. It came out real good. Had it with noodles and cauliflower.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

Tonight we had salad from the Aerogarden (with lots of stuff still needing to be picked) plus a bagel from today's batch.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

We had a grocery run today so we picked up Texas Road House food to go,it was good.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

I simmered a chicken breast in some mole sauce and had it with rice and cauliflower.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.