What are you Cooking the Week of December 12, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of December 12, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Less that two weeks to Christmas!

Spread the word
      cwcdesign
      Participant

We’re going to have turkey soup from the freezer and the rest of the blue cheese bites (see Baking 12/12) for dinner tonight

navlys
        Participant

I made steak and ale soup from cuisine at home. I found it to be very bitter (I assume from the ale)and it was tasteless. So I threw in some poultry seasoning, some various Penzey medleys and finally a tablespoon of sugar did the trick. It turned out delicious but I could never duplicate it.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

We had hamburger steaks and fries.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I'm glad you found a way to save your soup, Navlys!

I had half a cup of spaghetti squash that I needed to use up, as well as 1 cup of broth, and a few mushrooms—not to mention two small tomatoes that ripened in the house and were unlikely to be good in a salad. I sauteed the vegetables, along with a chopped carrot and some green onion, in olive oil, then added the spaghetti squash and a can of light chicken meat. In the meantime, I cooked ½ cup bulgur in the broth, then added that to the vegetables. It made a satisfying lunch for Sunday with enough left for another lunch later in the week.

Sunday dinner was salmon and couscous with Penzey’s Mural of Flavor as the seasoning. We also had microwaved frozen peas.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I picked some more lettuce so we're having salads with tuna fish. I'm also baking some sweet potatoes, some of which are for my wife to eat for lunches and some for another sweet potato pie.

BakerAunt
                Participant

On this Monday afternoon, I am experimenting by roasting one of the two spaghetti squash-pumpkin hybrids from our garden (see this year's gardening thread). The final fruit looked like a narrower than tall, small pumpkin. I cut it in half, and the interior, my husband agrees, certainly looks more like pumpkin than the spaghetti squash interior. Thus, I am roasting it cut side down, as I do with pumpkins. After it bakes, I will see if it is worth pureeing for baking use. Stay tuned.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

I took roast beef and gravy from the freezer with that we had mashed potatoes and green beans.Chocolate pudding for dessert.

cwcdesign
                    Participant

I’m making my version of the barefoot Contessa’s easy tomato soup. We’ll have grilled cheese with it.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

On Monday, I roasted one of the hybrid pumpkins (spaghetti squash-pumpkin) from our garden. In the spring, Scott had planted seed from a spaghetti squash I bought at the farmer’s market last year, but as they grew, we knew we did not have a spaghetti squash on our hands but what looked like a tall, narrow pumpkin. When I cut it open, the inside texture was definitely pumpkin. It took about 1 hour and 45 minutes to roast and soften. I pureed it in the food processor and ended up with a scant 4 cups. It reminds me of the pumpkin I used to cook before I knew about pie pumpkins. I froze half of it and plan to use the other two cups in a Jane Brody recipe for Pumpkin Rye Bread that I will adapt to make more whole grain. That will be a project for tomorrow

For dinner, I roasted cubed sweet potatoes and used toasted panko to coat chicken cutlets that I roasted as well. We had microwaved fresh broccoli—the last of the organic broccoli that I got at the farmer’s market over a week ago.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Dinner tonight was sort of a surprise. I was planning to make macaroni and cheese with frozen chopped broccoli, but the package I bought was spinach and I didn't notice that until after my wife tasted it.

I think I intended to get chopped broccoli but picked up the wrong package in the store. Either that or this was an extended senior moment. :sigh:

I think it still tastes pretty good, my wife says was OK but she didn't finish her bowl. But at least she's got sweet potato pie.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

I love sweet potato pie.

We had fried pork chop rice and tomato gravy and creamed corn.

Italiancook
                            Participant

Mike, given that the media reports that people are rushing through the grocery store because of the pandemic, maybe you didn't have a senior moment. It's likely that in haste, a customer had looked at the spinach, then put the package in the wrong place. Expecting it to be broccoli, because you were in the right place, you may have picked it up without looking at the package closely.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Italian Cook makes an excellent point. That was how I ended up with that odd package of fish rather than salmon. Of course, it doesn't help that the packaging is so similar.

Dinner on Tuesday was black-eyed peas with brown rice and diced ham (also sauteed celery and the last two yellow, long bell peppers picked a while back when green, parsley, and dehydrated onion. We have enough for another two dinners.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

I think I got that package at Aldi's, which I don't hit very often, maybe every month or two.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.