What are you Cooking the Week of January 31, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of January 31, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

I agree on Len's soup,sounds so good.This is soup weather.

Tonight we had fried chicken,rice and I cooked dry lima beans and tomato gravy.

chocomouse
      Participant

Tonight we had blueberry pancakes with sausage links. I used the new maple syrup dispenser I bought at KABC. It works, it does not drip!! woo hoo! It does have a slow drizzle, as many of the reviewers complained; you have to be patient. But I feel that is not a big problem. I'm very happy with it, and recommend it.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Thanks for the report on the syrup dispenser, Chocomouse.

On Tuesday, I made broth from the bones of the chicken I roasted the day before.

For lunch on Wednesday, I made Curried Butternut Squash soup, using most of the squash puree I made on Saturday. I whisked it with chicken broth to the desired thickness, added 1 tsp. of Penzey’s Now Curry, and put in about a Tablespoon of leftover full-fat yogurt. I had enough for another two days.

For dinner on Wednesday, I made stir-fry, using soba noodles, the rest of the chicken, celery, carrots, red bell pepper, green onion, broccoli, and mushrooms. I also put in some small chunks of roasted sweet potato. I had bought sweet potatoes at Kroger and did not notice until we got home that four of them had been badly smashed. (That is one reason I do not like pre-bagged produce.) I was able to rescue half of three of them, so I roasted them and put them in the stir-fry. In the future, I will carefully inspect each one through the bag.

RiversideLen
          Participant

Chocomouse, for the cream soup, I put it in the blender and give it a ride until it's smooth. Then I return it to the pot and put in some instant potato flakes, I do that last to determine how much it might need, heat it up a bit and let it rest, then add a very small amount of half and half if I have it, otherwise it will be a creamless cream soup. I've made soups with all those veggies leaving them in chunks too. You gotta have variety :).

Tonight I made bow tie pasta with meatballs. Veggie was cauliflower and carrots.

cwcdesign
            Participant

Last night Will made one of our favorites - 30 Minute Butter Chicken Meatballs from Half Baked Harvest - comfort food curry dinner. We use Penzey's garam masala and half each their hot curry powder and sweet curry powder - if it weren't for me, he'd probably use all hot! he also adds spinach to it. We serve it over Alton Brown's baked brown rice - the easiest and best brown rice recipe we've found. We have enough for leftovers the next nights - it gets better the next day.

I don't know who's going to be happier when I can start cooking again

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

We were supposed to get a lot more snow today, it wound up being only an inch or two. But the cold weather is coming, they're forecasting a week of sub-zero lows starting Sunday.

I got some vegetable beef soup out of the freezer for supper tonight, and I'm planning to make onion soup over the weekend and probably a batch of chicken stock as well so I can make potato leek soup next week.

Italiancook
                Participant

I made slow-cooker Irish oatmeal for six day's worth of breakfasts.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

We had cubed pan fried pork,baked sweet potato and macaroni and cheese.

kimbob
                    Participant

Used up misc fish in the freezer. Grouper, yellowfin tuna, and shrimp with fries and salad.
                      Whenever we have pancakes, I put maple syrup in my fireking glass measuring cup and warm it up in the microwave. Keeps the pancakes nice and hot.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

It was pizza night here. I added some oil to the dough, that's supposed to make it tear less and a bit crisper. Maybe I was in too much of a hurry and didn't let the gluten relax enough, because it tore a lot at first, but it was nicely crisp without being tough or hard. I'll try that again, maybe a bit less oil next time. I also made the dough a bit wetter, which is also supposed to help with stretching it. It did stick down more than last week, not sure if that was due to tears that I didn't get patched or something else.

Next week I'll probably do the pizza on Thursday, because Friday is my 2nd eye surgery.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

I made chicken thighs and had it with brown rice and broccoli and carrots. I thought about breading and frying the chicken but after working on snow removal I didn't feel like going through the additional effort. Especially since I also wanted to make a batch of sandwich buns too.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

I used all the leftovers from the lima bean supper and made lima bean soup,adding a carrot,rib of celery and some onion and chicken stock.

chocomouse
                            Participant

My husband had a meatloaf sandwich with potato chips. I had leftover tomato-veggie soup and cottage cheese with blueberries and pineapple. Easy meal. I also made Chex Mix, a Super Bowl snack for Sunday.

cwcdesign
                              Participant

Chocomouse - meatloaf sandwiches are one of my favorites!

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

We had roast and gravy from the freezer over mashed potatoes and fried okra.

We love leftover meatloaf sandwiches also,I had one this morning for breakfast and I like it cold.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.