What are you Cooking the Week of January 31, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of January 31, 2021?

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    chocomouse
    Participant

Dinner tonight was brats and pickles. I guess maybe we all would agree that the sole purpose of meatloaf is to have leftover for sandwiches!!

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I never make meatloaf sandwiches, I just heat it up, add some ketchup or barbecue sauce, and dig in. Of course, most of the time my meat loaf has things like mushrooms or black beans in it, that might not make for a good sandwich filling.

Tonight we had a salad followed by a nice big bowl of French onion soup, topped with semolina bread and two slices of Havarti cheese. Yummy, and I've got two containers of soup, a 3 quart one and a 9 cup one, for future meals.

Italiancook
        Participant

I'm still daydreaming about roast beef sandwiches on KABC Sandwich Rye Bread. I don't have all the bread ingredients yet, but I'm working on it. So I called the butcher and asked if he sells a roast that'd make good sandwich meat. I don't want to use chuck roast. I ate more chuck roast sandwiches than I care to remember when I was a kid. My mother had an affinity for over-cooking chuck roasts, and she never gave up trying. She'd pass the burned meat to we kids as sandwiches. He offered sirloin tip or rump roast. I know the leftover texture of rump roast, having cooked them fairly often, but I'm unfamiliar with sirloin tip. Which do you think I should buy for a hot meal with leftovers for sandwiches -- sirloin tip or rump roast? If you vote for sirloin tip, can you tell me how to cook it?

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Sirloin tip is fairly easy to slice if you don't overcook it.

I tend to use eye of round for that, as long as you cook it low and slow it isn't too tough. I use the 500 for 1 minute per pound, then let it coast method. The original recipe says to just turn the oven off and not open the door for 3 hours, but I find my oven cools off too much, so I set the oven temperature at 150-200 degrees (I haven't decided which temperature works best) and monitor it with a meat thermometer.

The Anova Precision Oven does air cooking that is similar to sous vide but without the water bath. Not sure if it's worth the money and I don't have any place to put it. My son likes to sous vide meat a lot, but my wife doesn't like meat that is red or pink even if I tell her it is fully cooked.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

In addition to my onion soup, I'm making a big batch of chicken stock today, using 8 pounds of chicken backs. (I bought a 40 pound case of them last year and froze them in 4 pound bags.)

I should get 8-10 quarts of chicken stock from them, half of which I'll use for some potato leek soup in a few days and the rest will go in the freezer.

chocomouse
              Participant

Mike, when my kids were little, and I often hid veggies in other foods.... When I prepared meatloaf, I put down a layer of meatloaf mix, and randomly laid a couple of veggies on top, then more meat, etc, etc. Our favorite was carrots (a veggie most kids like anyway!). A slice of that revealed small round orange "eyeballs" looking at you!

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.