What are you Baking the Week of September 18, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of September 18, 2022?

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Yes, you cook the apples until they're soft enough to bend, then strain off the juice and cook it further.

The recipe is here: https://mynebraskakitchen.com/wordpress/forums/topic/apple-pie-filling/

Freezing the filling does not appear to change it enough to notice.

I tend to make it in batches large enough that the peeled apples fill my 12 quart stock pot half to 2/3 full, I think that's 10-15 pounds of apples.

aaronatthedoublef
      Participant

Thanks. I looked at some more recipes and he has a few that use a tea towel for the first rise but most are in the mixing bowl. Lahey really wants his bread to be accessible. I like his cookbook as much for the story as for the recipes. He went to Italy to study sculpting and came back a baker.

The thing I don't like is while he considers the cost of pots and pans and bakers he recommends he does not consider storage.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I made my half-sheet sourdough pan pizza for dinner on Saturday. Instead of cooking up canned tomatoes, or fresh ones, for sauce, I used the rest of a tube of tomato paste, which I mixed with water and 1/4 tsp. garlic powder. I added the usual toppings of Canadian bacon, mozzarella, mushrooms, red bell pepper (from our garden), and green onions, but I also halved cherry tomatoes from our garden and put those on as well. I added black olives to my half, then grated Parmesan over it and baked. The nice thing about the sourdough crust (regular flour, semolina, durum and rye) is that it holds up to lots of topping.

skeptic7
          Participant

For apple pie, it depends on whether one particular friend who is allergic to many spices will be around. If he is going to be eating it, then I just use cinnamon and sugar. If its left up to me I have cinnamon, mace, nutmeg, ginger and cloves.
            I know one person who dislikes cloves and I might leave them out for his sake if he is expected.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I tend to have a heavy hand when adding cinnamon to apple pie filling, and a lighter hand with nutmeg, but those are usually the only spices I use.

chocomouse
              Participant

I made Reinhart's Onion and Wild Rice dough today. I shaped it into one loaf and twenty 70 gram rolls. I love this recipe! Not only is it tasty, the dough is so nice to handle. It's time to stock the freezer with breads to eat with soups and casseroles.

cwcdesign
                Participant

Wrong thread

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.