What are you Baking the Week of September 18, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of September 18, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No specific baking plans yet, I may wait until after Tuesday's forecasted high of 100 to do much, on Wednesday the forecasted high is 70.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I defrosted some of my apple pie filling for the turnovers, and I've got about half a container left, so I think I'm going to make a small apple galette using some pie dough from the freezer, the apple pie filling, and some Mrs. Richardson's caramel sauce.

The local orchard I usually go to lost its apple crop this year due to wind, but they may have some Winesaps at Kimmel Orchard in Nebraska City, if so I may go out there to pick some apples in early October and maybe buy a 5 or 10 pound container of their frozen pie cherries. Usually I freeze the pie filling in large enough containers that I can do an apple pie with them, which takes about 1100 grams of pie filling, but having some smaller ones for things like apple turnovers seems to make sense now.

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

I tried something new last night. I thought we were having seven for pizza so I pulled biscuit dough out of the freezer to use as a crust. I pressed it out into a quarter sheet, sauce, and TJ's mozzarella. It was tasty. Violet likes it better than the yeast crust. It is so much easier but much worse in food contents. My yeast crust is lean with about 60% whole grains.

I oiled the quarter sheet (I could have used WAY less) then finished it on the stone. I should have put it onto the stone sooner. I will not make this a weekly offering but I told Kate I need to try some new things. I think next week I'll try ciabatta crust.

The idea came from three places, first, I thought we would have more people so I needed emergency crust! As it turned out we only had three people. Next, I have used pie crust for pizza by accident before I began labeling things in the freezer. Finally, many years ago, someone started a rumor that Uno's - the original before it became the big chain - used Pop 'n Fresh biscuit dough for its crusts.

Attachments:
          You must be logged in to view attached files.
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I remember eating at Unos in the early 70's, there was a pallet of 50 pound bags of flour visible in the kitchen, so I don't think they were using pre-made dough. The pizza suffered when they started opening other locations, I wouldn't go to a Uno's today. Giordano's quality suffered when they expanded, too, Lou Malnati's River North location was still pretty good when I was there a few years ago, though. (The Malnati family was considering selling the chain, I don't know if they have.)

The dough that King Arthur Baking has for their 'pizza school' grilled pizza series is quite good. I'm going to keep making them on the outdoor grill until it is too cold to crank up the grill, then I think I'll try making them in a cast iron pan on my DCS range; it also has a gas grill that I don't use much, but I could try it for that. The next time I make them I'm going to try piperade (sweet peppers, onions and tomatoes) as the sauce.

aaronatthedoublef
            Participant

I don't think Uno's actually used it. I think it was one pizza maker trashing talking another. The restaurateurs I know around here are major, major trash talkers. They make the worst NBA players look like grade school kids.

But, when someone needs help they are the first people there pitching in.

I need to try grilled pizza sometime before the cold arrives.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

One thing I found when making the grilled pizza was that you need to get the first side well baked (plenty of brown spots) before removing it to facilitate flipping it over and putting on the toppings and then grilling the other side. Otherwise it might be slightly underdone in the center.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Today's caramel apple galette, about 8 inches in diameter:

IMG_0335

Attachments:
                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                  RiversideLen
                  Participant

That looks good, Mike, bring it over, I have vanilla ice cream and whipped cream.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

I second what Len said ,looks great Mike.I've seen these but never made one myself.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Ah, yes, I also would like a slice of the apple galette but with frozen vanilla yogurt from our freezer, so I can claim it as health food!

I made dough for my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers on Monday. The dough will rest in the refrigerator until Saturday.

The drilling of the well went great, and we may have better water than from the old well. However, we are not using the new well yet because the pump installation cannot be done until Friday. I am hoping there are no problems. So, we are still being cautious with water use.

We were without internet until this afternoon, when the cable company strung a new cable to replace the one that had to be cut to allow the drilling rig access.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

They're really easy to make once you've got the ingredients ready. I took some pie dough out of the freezer yesterday, rolled it out to about 12 inches in diameter today, put the rest of the apple pie filling I thawed out for the turnovers, put in a little butter, drizzled some Mrs. Richardson's caramel sauce on it, folded the outside of the pie dough over, brushed some egg wash on it and sprinkled on some sparkling sugar crystals.

With no separate upper crust, it has less pie dough per piece than a two-crust pie would, which is good because sometimes it seems like there's more pie crust than pie filling.

I'll make this again, it is a bit less work than a traditional two-crust pie.

I may have a second piece with a little ice cream.

aaronatthedoublef
                          Participant

You make galette sound easy! It looks great. My recipes make it sound so complicated. Or maybe it is the French name. I wonder if my wife would like it as an alternative to pie. Kate does not like pies. Could be done for custard pies. What if you lightly baked the custard just enough to set so it wouldn't run out then put it in the crust and baked it all to finish.

Thanks for the tips on grilling.

Anyone have recommendations on an induction cook top? And will porcelain coated cast iron work on it? I know the cast iron part is good I just don't know if the porcelain gets in the way.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

I had just perfected galettes four years ago when my doctor presented me with my cholesterol numbers. Sigh. I had a great, part buckwheat crust that was so good with peach filling and ice cream. These days, I make my buttermilk oil (half olive, half canola) pastry crust (part pastry flour and part whole wheat pastry flour), and since that crust has to be partly baked before the filling is added, I fit it into a ceramic tart/quiche dish. While it is not exactly a galette, it lets me have the experience. I'm planning to bake a tomato/zucchini one today or tomorrow.

Aaron--maybe start a thread under discussions about cookware that works on induction? That would make the information easier to find again.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

I started a topic on induction burners and pans.

There's just one piece of the galette left and I plan to have it at lunch, Diane took a piece for lunch, too. It was VERY good

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

I've not made a custard galette; there are some instructions for them online, though they seem to start with something else in the center, like fruit or nuts so that the edges can be folded up. The custard filling is poured in after 20 minutes of baking and fills in the gaps in between the nuts or fruit.

Making one that is just filled with custard sounds like an interesting challenge, sort of like making a quiche or a chocolate pie in a par-baked crust.

Just par-baking the crust for a few minutes might make it too stiff to fold in. Maybe if you put foil around the outside leaving a hole in the center?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.