What are You Baking the Week of May 14, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of May 14, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I have a good friend coming tomorrow, who will spend the night before visiting her mother in another city. She is allergic to dairy, so I baked the King Arthur Spiced Rye Ginger Cookies and left out my usual addition of a tablespoon of milk powder, so my only change was to halve the salt.

I also baked my adaptation of the King Arhur Crusty Cloche Bread. I use bread, whole wheat, and pumpernickel flour with a tablespoon of flax meal. Usually, I use a cup of buttermilk but used only water this time. I cut the yeast to 1 ¾ tsp. and the salt to ¾ tsp. I let the second rise go too long (should have checked it earlier), so after I slashed it, it lost some height and only regained some in the baking. It should still be fine in texture and taste; it just will not look quite as spectacular as I would have liked for company.

I oiled the cloche bottom and sprinkled it with farina before the cold oven start. When I took it out, I put it onto a towel. I noted, as I was wiping the dried bottom off with a paper towel, that it has a crack the runs right down the middle from side to side. I think it must have always been there but is just now showing up. Fortunately, when I bought the cloche from Skeptic, who found it at a thrift store, it came with a never before used second bottom, so I will season it before the next use. The cover also fits on my large baking bowl, so all is well.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

My visiting friend brought some of her homemade hazelnut milk with her, so I decided that I would give that Vegan Cinnamon Roll recipe that I tried a couple of months ago another attempt with a quality nut milk. I made the dough and shaped the rolls on Monday evening and refrigerated them overnight to bake tomorrow morning. I will report tomorrow whether this second effort produces an improvement over my first.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Note: The vegan cinnamon rolls turned out well. The homemade hazelnut milk was important, as was using avocado oil rather than canola in place of the coconut oil. I also used slightly more than half white whole wheat flour and added 2 Tbs. flax meal. The correct size of baking dish (8x10) helps as well. I used Penzey's China Cinnamon in the filling. I made a half recipe of the glaze, and that is sufficient.

My friend gave me her recipe for making the nut milk, so I will give that a try at some point. I have until October when my husband's next family reunion will occur, but I will only bake the recipe if my vegan brother-in-law is coming.

chocomouse
          Participant

Today I made Grilled Asiago Rounds (KABC recipe) which I have not made for several years. They very crispy on the outside, but soft on the inside; I'm pretty sure they'll lose that crispness by tomorrow. I think they need a little more flavor, so next time in addition to the cheese in the dough, I'll add garlic and some herbs. I think we'll try cutting some in half and using them like a burger bun.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I've started the preferment for a batch of semolina bread. (Hamelman calls it a 'flying sponge', it sits for 90 minutes.)

chocomouse
              Participant

I made a rhubarb cobbler today. The recipe is a keeper.

BakerAunt
                Participant

On Thursday afternoon, I baked Blood Orange Loaf Cake, the third of my trifecta of blood orange cake recipes. This recipe uses some almond flour and semolina in addition to AP. After being turned out of the pan, it gets brushed with a blood orange-sugar solution. Tomorrow, I will add the icing.

RiversideLen
                  Participant

I bought a bag of KAF Rye Flour Blend which contains wheat, dark, medium and light rye flours. I decided to make the recipe on the bag. I made a few small changes, it calls for their dry milk and water. I don't keep dry milk so I subbed liquid non fat milk for the dry milk and water. It also doesn't call for any sugar/honey/molasses but I put in a tablespoon of honey. I also added a tablespoon of vital wheat gluten. There is a typo on the bag as it doesn't call for any salt, a note on the KAB site mentions that and says to use 2 teaspoons, I used one teaspoon. The dough has gone through the first rise, I have formed them into 9 buns @ 93 grams each. Am waiting on the second rise, I'll report back after they have been baked. Almost forgot, the recipes calls for appr (by weight) half rye flour blend and half AP flour, I subbed half of the AP flour with white whole wheat.

chocomouse
                    Participant

I made another batch of the grilled asiago rounds this afternoon, but this time I used shredded cheddar and 2 teaspoons of Penzey's Foxpoint seasoning. We like these better than the asiago. I'm hoping my photo is small enough to attach. Nope, guess it is not.

chocomouse
                      Participant

Trying to send photo again.

Grilled-Cheddar-Rounds

Attachments:
                        You must be logged in to view attached files.
                        BakerAunt
                        Participant

Your bread rounds look delicious, Chocomous.

Awaiting updates on Len's bread!

Ever since Chocomouse wrote about the Chewy Semolina Rye Bread, I have been wanting to bake the recipe. King Arthur obliged with a recipe scaled to the Emile Henry long baker. I had to leave out the dried onion, since while my husband can tolerate it, he likes to feed little pieces of bread to our dog, and she cannot tolerate onion. I replaced 1 ¼ cups of water with buttermilk. I omitted the vital wheat gluten. I cut the salt from 1 Tbs. to 2 ¼ tsp. and the yeast from 4 tsp. to 3 ½ tsp. I added a tablespoon of special dry milk. I did not do the topping, as my husband is not fond of such additions. The recipe baked beautifully in the Emile Henry long baker and made a spectacular large loaf. I look forward to slicing it at lunch tomorrow.

CWCdesign--This recipe is perfect for the Emile Henry long baker, with great height.

chocomouse
                          Participant

I've only made this in a loaf pan; I'll need to try it doubled and baked in my long baker. I would also skip the wheat gluten, cut the salt and yeast. I would use the Artisan Bread Topping.

RiversideLen
                            Participant

Chocomouse, your grilled rounds look great!

My rye buns were a failure as buns. They taste fine but they did not rise enough to use as buns, they're more like flat dinner rolls (even though I let them rise for more than 2 hours). I might make this recipe again but next time just use the AP without subbing some with whole wheat. Forming them into buns might have deflated them too much (although that is not a problem with other recipes I have used) so I will make a loaf. I hope that works because otherwise I don't know what I'll do with the rest of that rye blend.

rye-bun

Attachments:
                              You must be logged in to view attached files.
                              skeptic7
                              Participant

Riverside Len; the Rye buns look great. They are more like English Muffins in size. What do they taste like toasted, with butter and jam of course? Well if life gives you muffins, then reach for the butter!
                                I did KA Flours Moravian Fruit Coffeecake, but left out anything for which I didn't have the ingredients like potato flour and dried milk, also had to use KA all purpose flour as I didn't have anything else. This came out surprisingly well, it was like a pan pizza with sugar crust and of course plums. I went off to look at other Moravian Sugar cake recipes and King Arthur had made some modification of their own. The original recipe had mashed potatoes instead of just a mere trace of potato flour.
                                I also did minature scones with dried cranberries.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Len--if you have some bread flour, use that instead of the AP, and you can probably keep the whole wheat flour. I use the Bob's Red Mill Artisan Bread flour, and it lets me use a higher percentage of wholegrain flours than I otherwise would to get an acceptable rise. I have done a more than 2/3 replacement with it. I do not know if the KABC bread flour would perform in the same way. I think that the BRM has an additive that improves the rise.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.