What are You Baking the Week of June 28, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of June 28, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

We began the morning with pancakes. I used up that free Bob's Red Mill pancake mix (3/4 cup) with 1/4 cup whole wheat flour, 1 tbs. flax meal, 1/2 cup quick oats, and 1 cup buttermilk. I, my husband, and the dog liked them.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I'm making semolina bread today, starting with Hamelman's recipe but then tweaking it a bit to see if I can get it closer to the one we used to get in Pittsburgh.

chocomouse
        Participant

I baked my typical sandwich loaf, which originally was a Beth Hensperger recipe, but I've changed it so much that it hardly resembles that recipe now. And I think every time I make it, it is different. Buttermilk, 4 cups of flour, and 1 cup of oatmeal is the constant. Today I used half whole wheat, potato flour, honey, and sunflower kernals.

kimbob
          Participant

Stuffed shells with meat sauce. Garlic bread. Uh oh, wrong forum. Lol

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by kimbob.
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Today's semolina bread came out with a very soft interior. I used equal parts of durum, semolina and KAF AP flour, and 1 1/2 ounces of barley syrup in place of the sugar in Hamelman's recipe. It produced two loaves about 5 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 11 1/2.

semolina1.jpg

semolina2

Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.
              BakerAunt
              Participant

Beautiful loaves, Mike!

On Sunday, I made the dough for my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers. I'll let it rest until the end of the week, then make the crackers.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Agree with BakerAunt your loaves of bread are beautiful Mike!They look perfect!

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I was happy with it, but my wife says it might be too soft to slice very thin. I'm hoping it'll firm up a little overnight. We had about half a loaf for supper, I cut the 2nd loaf into two parts and froze them.

I put in about a third to a half more malt syrup than I intended, it was on the thick side and didn't pour easily But otherwise, I think it's a successful modification.

aaronatthedoublef
                    Participant

I made whole wheat bread yesterday while I am rebuilding my starter.

My wife ate a grilled cheese my son made yesterday on sourdough from Saturday and liked it. Go figure...

I did not get to my cake so I'll have to start it today. It's to be a chocolate cake with chocolate ice cream and a layer of ice cream between the layers of cake. I am not sure how I am going to make this yet but I figure if I freeze the layers and soften the ice cream it should be spreadable. Then refreeze the whole thing and frost it.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

Sounds like a lot of work. I've tried making ice cream rolls, now that's REALLY a lot of work, and never as good as the ones in the store.

If it was me, I'd probably brush the top of the cake with some simple syrup before I froze it, that should keep crumbs from coming off when you spread on the ice cream.

At Dairy Queen they have pre-made ice cream rounds to put in their cakes. If you have a springform pan or one with a removable bottom, you could put the ice cream in it, use something to smooth it, then refreeze it a little before trying to put it on the cake. I'd probably use parchment or waxed paper on the bottom to make it easier to get the bottom off. I have 8 and 9 inch parchment rounds that I would use for something like this.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Mike Nolan.
                        skeptic7
                        Participant

I just did a sheet pan pancake, with a riff on this recipe. I used strawberry jelly instead of the fig filling. That wasn't a good idea. The jelly was too solid, leave it out next time or treat it as part of the liquids and reduce the buttermilk to compensate. Will comment more on the sheet pan pancake thread. It makes about 3/4 inch pancake that almosts fills up the whole half sheet pan. I had spread it out with a spatula before baking. The liquid is too dense to spread on its own.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by skeptic7.
                          BakerAunt
                          Participant

Aaron--I'm not surprised that your wife liked the grilled cheese sourdough sandwich. While cheese adds to almost all bread (sigh), when I was making my white sourdough loaves, I looked forward to toasting slices as the bread began to dry. It has a very nice taste, especially with a little butter.

RiversideLen
                            Participant

Those loaves are picture perfect, Mike!

cwcdesign
                              Participant

Your loaves are gorgeous, Mike!

I made KAF no-knead cheese burger buns for our dinner tonight. They have cheese powder in them and I used a little bit of WWW. Since I hadn’t made them before, I used 2 teaspoons yeast (recipe said 2 1/4). Next time I’ll definitely reduce it. Made the dough in the bread machine without preheating. Recipe said to let them proof in the pan, but mine were ready in 30 minutes, then I baked them for 15 minutes and they were at 204. They look nice.

I tried to upload a photo, but my file was too big. When I get on my computer I’ll try again.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

We are running low on bread, so I needed to bake on Monday morning before the heat. I took the recipe for Sunflower Oat Wheat Bread that I developed last fall, then made a Harvest Grains variation. I decided this time to increase the Harvest Grains from 1 ½ cups to 2 cups, as they seem to absorb less than just oats. I did not add sunflower seeds, as they are in the harvest grains. I left my increased whole wheat flour, and the use of olive oil, alone. I had to add an additional 2 Tbs. of bread flour. The recipe made two large 9x5-inch loaves. They rose so fast, that I was worried I would not have the oven pre-heated in time. However, they look good. We will slice into one tomorrow at lunch. The other will go into the freezer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.