What are you Baking the Week of June 13, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of June 13, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Gonna be in the low 90's today, but I think I need to make semolina bread today.

Spread the word
      cwcdesign
      Participant

Today of all days I decided to make an angel food cake with most of the egg whites I had in the freezer. I haven’t made one in eons, so when Brown Eyed Baker posted a recipe, I decided to try her version. It was her directions that mostly appealed to me and I’m glad I tried it.

It’s hot down here, but we have the AC on so I thought that would keep the humidity at bay. But . . . Just as I started folding in the flour/sugar mixture, the heavens opened. I got it in the oven and it didn’t fall or anything. Eating the crumbs off the tube pan, it’s not too sweet. It might be a little dense but that may have had more to do with my folding or the egg whites being too old.

After we each have a piece, we’ll cut the rest and wrap and put in the freezer so it lasts longer.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Cwcdesign,I love angel food cake.I've never made one from scratch but my sister can make a good one.The only one I've ever made was with a mix and you add a can of crushed pineapple that's it,no egg whites or anything else.

cwcdesign
          Participant

Joan, eons ago, my sister’s favorite cake was angel food and she wanted one for her birthday. My mother wasn’t going to make, so I did. I was living in a tiny, cr***y apartment and had no appliances (well, we might have had a blender). Since I was a big fan of Julia Child, I got out my big bowl and whisk and made it by hand. I actually made a couple more that way. For Christmas that year I was given a hand mixer.

Sure couldn’t do that now.

But the one I made is quite good. Next time I’m going to transfer the beaten egg whites to a bigger bowl for folding. The KA bowl is somewhat narrow and it’s hard to fold well in it.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I've tried making an angel food cake a number of times, most of them were edible, none of them were what I would call great.

BakerAunt
              Participant

On Sunday, I baked three loaves of Grandma A’s Ranch Hand bread. The second rise was slightly too long because I did not preheat the oven soon enough, but they still came out fine.

RiversideLen
                Participant

Yesterday I made a batch of sandwich buns and brownies from a box mix. I added a half cup of oats to it and to hydrate the oats, an extra half cup of milk. It's less fudgey and more cake like, dense cake, but I like it that way.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Oatmeal turns anything into health food!

RiversideLen
                    Participant

Absolutely, BakerAunt!!! I had one of them with lunch today, it's pretty tasty.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I made semolina bread today, let the final proof go on a little too long because I was listening to an online presentation on sourdough, but it didn't collapse in the oven.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

On Tuesday, I baked a new recipe, Chocolate-Glazed Almond Horns, which I found on the web when I was searching for recipes that use egg whites:

https://www.loveandoliveoil.com/2013/04/chocolate-glazed-almond-horns.html

The recipe calls for two, which is what I had on hand. I also had a can of almond paste (best by 2019 but it was fine). Indeed, I still have egg white left, which I will use for another purpose, and for the final glazing, I could have easily used just half a Tbs. egg white and ½ Tbs. water. I baked for the shortest time, which works with my oven. I made a half recipe of the glaze and replaced the heavy cream with half and half, which worked. I dipped the ends in the chocolate and spread any extra on the tops while the almond horns were warm. Ideally, we would have let them rest until tomorrow so that the glaze could harden. In the real world we each had one for dessert, and one is all that is needed. As the recipe made six, that gives us dessert for tomorrow.

The recipe is gluten-free, so it would work for people who need to avoid gluten.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I'll be making bagels today.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

On Wednesday, I baked Wheat-Oat Flax Buns (recipe adapted from King Arthur) to go with salmon patties for dinner.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

On Thursday, I baked an adaptation of Little Vanilla Cakelets, a recipe that came with a Nordic Ware six-well basket pan (makes little basket sides so center can be filled with fruit and/or ice cream). I use a third barley flour in place of AP and buttermilk in place of regular milk. We will have these with strawberries and maybe a bit of frozen vanilla yogurt for dessert tonight.

I also baked oatmeal-raisin muffins for the next couple of days for breakfast.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

I baked a box of brownies,I've not baked in awhile.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.