What are you Baking the Week of July 30, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of July 30, 2023?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Another batch of peanut butter cookies is on the list for today.

chocomouse
      Participant

Today I made a Berries and Cream Cake. It's an old recipe from 1985 that I discovered when a local newspaper had a recipe contest. I make it every year during blueberry season. It has a shortbread-type crust, pressed into a springform pan. Then a quart of fresh (or frozen) blueberries is poured on top of the crust. A custard of sour cream, egg, sugar, vanilla is poured over it all and then baked for an hour. I have no idea about the origin of it, just the housewife who submitted it to the paper. However, about 20 years later, KAF posted it as its own recipe, with no changes. I discovered today that it is no longer posted on their website. Interesting.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Your Berries and Cream cake sounds a lot like a clafoutis.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Actually, Chocomouse posted the recipe here at Nebraska Kitchen:

Sigh. I would love to bake it, but I would need a lot of people to help eat it. So, I will enjoy it vicariously.

chocomouse
            Participant

I'm sorry you won't be able to enjoy this, BakerAunt. I'm taking it to Maine today, and will serve it at our Dessert Party this weekend - there will be at least 8 of us. I sub Greek yogurt for half of the sour cream, but that doesn't make it much more healthy.

navlys
              Participant

I finally finished using up most of the almond flour that I purchased (why???) Anyway one of my friends mentioned this almond cake her son loves and said it was an easy recipe. And it called for almond flour!!! So I made it and it is delicious. I had to search for the source of the recipe and it comes from Milk Street. It's called "the best Spanish almond cake". It doesn't have butter or oil. It does call for 3 eggs and 3 egg whites. I didn't have turbinado sugar for the top so I used brown sugar. I'm sure the recipe can be found on line but I don't want to ruffle any feathers so I'm not printing it.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Ah, yes, Navlys. I found it online. To get access to the recipe, you have to give your email address and agree to receive all their emails, although you could then unsubscribe. To access all the recipes, you have to subscribe.

However, there are a lot of knock-off recipes that can be accessed. This version looks promising. It does call for 5 eggs, separated:

https://bakesbybrownsugar.com/spanish-almond-cake/

navlys
                  Participant

Baker Aunt, I checked out the above recipe. One difference is mine does not whip the 3 egg whites and uses 3 whole eggs. Oddly enough the amount of flour is the same but there is a 10 gram difference in weight. The recipes are very similar although there is no lemon in the one I used but there is both vanilla and almond extracts. I also used an 8" square pan and baked it a shorter amount of time than called for. I may have to order more almond flour now!

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Whipping the egg whites and folding in the egg foam should make for a somewhat lighter cake.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I have a lot of almond flour, so that cake will go onto my "to bake" list.

On this Friday afternoon, I have a blueberry pie in the oven. It used the last of the fresh blueberries we picked. My husband is looking forward to the pie, as blueberry is his favorite pie.

Update: the pie is cooling on the rack. We will wait until tomorrow to slice it.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.