What are you Baking the Week of July 30, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of July 30, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm probably making another chocolate zucchini cake today, the last one is almost gone. It freezes well.

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

I made 2 loaves of pumpernickel bread today, and used 2 slices for a patty melt.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I'll put the chocolate zucchini cake in the oven shortly.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I'm planning on baking the Rye Blueberry Bars, which was a King Arthur ""Bake of the Week," in July:

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/rye-blueberry-bars-recipe

The recipe seems to me to use way too much vanilla--1 tsp. in the filling and 2 tsp. in the crust. I think the vanilla would cover up the blueberry flavor rather than complementing it.

I plan to replace the cardamom--not my husband's favorite spice, although I love it--with allspice, which is what I use in my blueberry pie. I will replace the butter in the crust with canola or avocado oil and perhaps 2 Tbs. water.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

My wife has decided that blueberries and zucchini aren't a great pairing, I tend to agree, something clashes.

BakerAunt
              Participant

On Tuesday, I baked the Rye Blueberry Bars from King Arthur that were one of their July Bake of the Week. I made some changes that I do not think affected the outcome in that I replaced the AP flour with white whole wheat and the 10 Tbs. of butter with 1/3 cup avocado oil plus 2 Tbs. water. I cut the vanilla in the crust from 2 tsp. to 1 tsp, and I did not use cardamom in the crust and topping.

I think that the filling is a problem. I'm not sure why it uses maple syrup, as I could not really taste it. At first, I deleted the salt, but I added ¼ tsp. after tasting it. I also ended up adding the stated amount of vanilla, in part because the filling was rather blah. I stirred in ½ tsp. allspice, and that helped.

The recipe called for making a slurry with 3 Tbs. cornstarch and 2 Tbs. lemon juice. That did not work well. It was not enough liquid to combine with the cornstarch, and I should have added more lemon. Instead, I added it to the jam mixture, and I had to break up or fish out, clumps of cornstarch. I think that I will use Clear Jel next time or use enough lemon juice to combine thoroughly. I might try lime juice next time as well. There will be a next time, if they hold up over the next couple of days, as my husband likes them, and I think they have promise.

I wonder, however, if the recipe developer at King Arthur was trying hard to offset the blah filling by adding all that vanilla and cardamom. The other thought is that they were trying to feature as many products that they sell as possible.

My other baking project on Tuesday was Squash, Whole Wheat, and Oat Quick Bread, a recipe that I adapted from Ken Haedrich's The Harvest Baker. I baked it as four small loaves in the 4-loaf Bundt pan I have.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Mike--I had wondered about putting blueberries and zucchini together, as it seemed an odd pairing.

skeptic7
                  Participant

BakerAunt;
                    How did the Squash, Whole Wheat and Oat bread come out.

I did zuchinni and raisin bread yesterday. I baked it in an 8 inch cake pan and it took longer than I thought it would about 45 minutes. Its rather moist and gummy, Next time I'll reduce the liquid a little bit.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Skeptic--The Squash, Whole Wheat, and Oat Bread came out great. This time I used half white whole wheat and half AP. If you would like my version of the recipe, let me know, and I will post it.

BTW, I took the temperature of the center of one of the small loaves with my instant read thermometer after 43 minutes, and it read over 200F. I've never used it for quick bread before, but after CWCdesign mentioned doing so, I decided to do so.

cwcdesign
                      Participant

BakerAunt - how long were you supposed to bake the loaves? I like using the thermometer because I can check it earlier it earlier in the process and adjust a couple of minutes here and there, rather than guessing.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

CWCdesign--I adjusted the time, since the original recipe was for two 8x4 loaves. I also adjusted the time because I was baking in the heavy Nordic Ware Pan, which meant that I reduced the baking temperature from 350F to 325F. I baked for 43 minutes.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I'm making semolina bread today.

chocomouse
                            Participant

I'm calling this baking, although it was cooked on the grill! I made more of the KAF Asiago Grilled Bread. I made 2 batches with plans to gift some to friends when I go to Maine tomorrow. In the first batch, 12 bread rounds, I used cheddar cheese and some Penzey spices: Foxpoint, and when I ran out of that, Sandwich Sprinkles. In the second batch, I used parmesan and fresh herbs snipped from the planter on the deck. I also experimented with using AP and bread flour, or all AP. Of course, the AP is softer, less chewy than the one with bread flour. All bread flour is too chewy for me, almost tough. But approximately 2 cups of AP and 1 cup of bread flour is my favorite.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

Is that the 'Grilled Asiago Rounds' recipe from KABC? That's been on my to-do list for a while.

chocomouse
                                Participant

Yes, Mike it is. Please put it at the top of your list -- I'd love to hear what you think of it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.