What are you Baking the Week of July 17, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of July 17, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

High in the upper 80's today, but then some scorchers are coming! Any baking I do will be late in the evening.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

As Mike Nolan foretold yesterday, north-central Indiana on Sunday had a drizzly day and, in the evening, some serious rain, which made for a great baking day. I made the little oat cakes (cookies/biscuit/cracker), a recipe adapted from a Bob's Red Mill recipe, that my husband and I like so much.

I also baked the multigrain cracker recipe that I adapted from King Arthur’s Whole Grain Cookbook.

In the evening, I started Blueberry Sweet Rolls, a recipe that I adapted from Recipes from the Old Mill. I made the dough, and after the second rise, shaped the sweet rolls and put them in a large glass baking dish. I will let the dish rest overnight in the refrigerator, then bake the rolls tomorrow morning. the rolls are packed tight. I am second guessing whether I should have used an additional baking dish.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I baked the blueberry sweet rolls this morning. I should have used two Pyrex dishes of different sizes, since the rolls have fused together, and I had a bit of spilling onto the oven floor. However, the rolls are delicious and much better than the ones I tried making with blueberry pie filling. I have not baked this recipe for some years, and for some reason I did not have notes written on it.

I made 20 rolls; the recipe says 20-24. The lower number works better, since the blueberries are rolled up in the dough with the cinnamon sugar, and unless the blueberries are small, they would be harder to slice without the blueberries falling out. When I type up the recipe with my other changes, I will add that a 13x9 for twelve rolls and a smaller glass dish for eight rolls is needed. It is a wonderful recipe for fresh blueberries. I do not think that frozen ones would work, even if not parking the sweet rolls overnight in the refrigerator. I find that it does help to have let the blueberries dry at room temperature after washing and to use firm blueberries.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

I baked the small chocolate cake today and made chocolate icing for my chocolate fix.

aaronatthedoublef
            Participant

What are the blueberry sweet rolls like? We had a great aunt who used to bring us sweet rolls years ago. Here they have Danish which are similar but different.

Oh and we have 90s and rain this week. Lovely!

I made scones for my college boy who has not had them in a lonnnnng time. I'll make more bread this week. Violet had a birthday party featuring s'mores. I made a coconut cake into a sheet cake. I thought it would bake faster than in 9 inch rounds but it still took about 35 minutes. It was Stella Park's from Serious Eats and had coconut flour, coconut oil, and coconut milk but no actual, real coconut. Now what is a coconut cake without coconut? So I dumped in four ounces. It could have used eight. And the flavor doesn't really come out until the next day but it was a really good cake. I used my smallest round biscuit cutter and made little rounds to have in the s'mores bar.

I tried browning some sugar but I need a bigger pan or to do a smaller batch. Some of it was toasted and had a great caramel smell and taste. Definitely worth doing again.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

If you're browning sugar in a sauce pan, it works better with a pan that isn't iron or steel; there's a chemical reaction that occurs between iron molecules and sugar that you want to avoid. It doesn't seem to make as much difference if you're taking the sugar all the way to caramel, though I'm not sure why.

If you're doing it in the oven, there was a thread on that a while back.

If I had a non-stick pan, especially one of those ceramic ones, I'd probably use that. (I'm gonna break down and buy one some time.)

BakerAunt
                Participant

Aaron--the blueberry sweet rolls are made like regular cinnamon rolls. I sprinkled the cinnamon sugar directly on the dough, then evenly put the blueberries on top of it and slightly press them into the dough. It can be a bit challenging to roll the dough to be sliced. I think that is why the recipe specifies dividing the dough and rolling each piece into 14x8 inches, spreading with the cinnamon sugar and blueberries, then rolling up the long side. The blueberries hold their shape, which is very nice

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

Here's that thread on making toasted sugar in the oven:

aaronatthedoublef
                    Participant

Thanks Mike. Thanks BA.

Mike, I used a lasagna pan to make the sugar. We have several and they are all non-reactive. I just needed a bigger one or to use less sugar. I'm thinking I may make a large quantity of it to use in other things.

chocomouse
                      Participant

Back in the kitchen! So today I made English muffins. Big mistake. It is 92* and was not comfortable standing over a hot griddle! But breakfast will be delicious! I bought a jar of Peach Amaretto jam in Maine, at Stonewall Kitchen. I used to take a class there a couple of times a year, but they've shut down that part of their business, and I miss it.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

The jam sounds wonderful, Chocomouse.

On Wednesday, I baked a Blueberry Coffee Cake from another recipe that I adapted from Recipes from the Old Mill. I baked it in a round ceramic dish that I bought a few years ago from King Arthur, so I dropped the baking temperature to 350F from 375F, and I baked it for 35 minutes in the countertop convection oven, so as not to heat up the house. We had some for dessert, and it came out better than any time I have made it in the past. That may be because I used my oil cake method of mixing the sugar with the oil, buttermilk, an egg before adding in the dry ingredients.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

Diane is making dessert scones tonight.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

On Thursday, I baked a double recipe of the Oatmeal Raisin Cookies from Jenny Can Cook. The cookies are trip food for my older stepson who begins driving back to California tomorrow.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

BakerAunt your stepson will be driving and smiling with them cookies,I know they are good.Safe travels for him as he goes back home.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

I made a batch of burger buns today.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                • The topic ‘What are you Baking the Week of July 17, 2022?’ is closed to new replies.