What are you Baking the Week of July 17, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of July 17, 2022?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I need to make semolina bread soon, but it probably won't be tomorrow, with a forecast of 100 or higher.

chocomouse
      Participant

I made a Blueberries and Cream Cake that I got from the local newspaper 37 years ago, and it remains one of our favorites when we have fresh blueberries. As long as I was heating up the kitchen on this 96* day, I decided I might as well bake bread too, so I made a double batch of my basic whole wheat dough and added Harvest Grains to it.

BakerAunt
        Participant

On Saturday, I baked another blueberry coffee cake, using the same recipe as I did on Wednesday. The recipe can easily be doubled, but blueberry items can go bad fast when it is hot, so two separate bakes in the week work best.

navlys
          Participant

Did anyone read the recipe for the semolina baguette recipe in this month's KA catalogue? I was exhausted just reading it! Maybe it's my age.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Aaron--I believe that I have a copy of The Settlement Cookbook that was in my husband's parents' house when we cleared it out. It probably belonged to his grandmother. I will look through it, see if the recipe is there, and report back later today.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Searching for 'settlement cookbook' comes up with multiple books, I don't know if they're different editions of the same book or if the title has been used more than once. Lizzie Black Kander wrote one in 1901, for example.

BakerAunt
                Participant

The one I have is The Settlement Cook Book, Victory (26th) Edition, enlarged and revised, copyright 1944. The front includes the phrase, "The way to a man's heart." The title page proclaims:

Tested Recipes from
                  The Milwaukee Public School Kitchens
                  Girls Trades and Technical High School
                  Authoritative Dietitians
                  and Experienced Housewives

I found a "bookmark" in it for the Plowboy 1945 Prom, held by The Agriculture and Home Economics Clubs of the University of Illinois, April 13, 1945. My husband's grandmother taught home economics in public schools, and she and her husband also lived on a farm, so I think the cookbook was most likely hers.

Aaron--If you like, I can put the recipe in the recipe section.

aaronatthedoublef
                  Participant

Mike, it has been around forever. My mom gave me a reprint of the very first one which was real not much more than a 10 page pamphlet and most of the cooking and baking was done on wood stoves or in fireplaces.

BA, that would be great if you could. Thank you!

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

It's not a cookbook I'm familiar with and one I don't think has been mentioned here in the past.

chocomouse
                      Participant

Today I baked two loaves of rye bread, and a blackberry pie. My weather station says the high was 91*, but I figured as long as my husband was expecting the pie, I might as well heat up the kitchen a little more for the bread.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Compared to most forum packages, WordPress has very limited features for splitting a thread into two separate topics on a post-by-post basis.

I will create a 'cinnamon roll' topic and we can continue this discussion there.  This topic has been closed.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster