What are You Baking the Week of January 22, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of January 22, 2017?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

Happy Birthday, BakerAunt!!!

Joan Simpson
      Participant

Happy Birthday to Bakeraunt.This week I baked a cold oven pound cake and a one layer chocolate cake ...all gone!

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

KP posted his thoughts on bleached flour and cookies more than once on the old BC, I think/hope one of them got archived and posted here.

Short form: Bleaching flour weakens the gluten bonds, so you wind up with less chewy cookies.

Alton Brown's episode on cookie-making did an excellent job of talking about how to get soft, crisp or chewy cookies by manipulating the amount of sugar and fat.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Thanks to all for the birthday wishes.

Aaron--one thing I have noticed with bleached flour is that the butter seems to be more uniformly incorporated. When I used bleached flour and was rolling into balls, they were always a bit greasy.

Mike--I will check and see if I have any threads related to the bleached vs. unbleached discussions. Perhaps Rottiedogs has some of those threads? We have not see Rottiedogs for a while. I hope Rottiedogs is ok.

KIDPIZZA
            Participant

Thanks to all for the birthday wishes.

Aaron–one thing I have noticed with bleached flour is that the butter seems to be more uniformly incorporated. When I used bleached flour and was rolling into balls, they were always a bit greasy.

Mike–I will check and see if I have any threads related to the bleached vs. unbleached discussions. Perhaps Rottiedogs has some of those threads? We have not see Rottiedogs for a while. I hope Rottiedogs is ok.

Good afternoon Aaron. BAKERAUNT gave you a good description of why it is best to employ BLCD FLOUR when your recipe employs a solid fat like butter, margarine, lard or shortening.
              The reason why AARON is that the bleaching component in the flour makes the fat revolve around gluten strands when the mixing operation is being done, like in a concentric manner.
              Otherwise Aaron, as you know the weight of the fat is heavier than the weight of the gluten (flour) & as such the fat goes to the bottom instead of helping to provide the webbing to make the baked product lighter & to provide structure.

I hope I composed my thoughts correctly on this subject clearly for a change.

Enjoy the day.

~KIDPIZZA.

KIDPIZZA
              Participant

On Saturday, I baked Pecan Lime Cookies, from Cookies Unlimited, by Nick Malgieri (p.188). I realized after I’d put the first tray in that I’d forgotten the SALT. I hurriedly sprinkled some coarse Kosher salt on them. Next time, I will pay more attention. They are good, but they could have been truly great. I used bleached flour, since they are almost a shortbread, and it really does produce a superior cookie, as it did with my shortbread. I used Hudson Cream flour, as I found a 5 pound bag at my grocery store. (Thanks to Kid Pizza for having tutored us about the use of bleached flour!)

I also want to mention that I was the recipient of a wonderful spice cake with caramel frosting, baked by one of the office staff for my birthday celebration. She said she would bake any cake I wanted, since I always bake the cake for everyone else’s birthday, so I gave her my recipe, and she produced a delicious cake.

MARLISS:
                HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you with many, many to come. Enjoy your special day young lady.

~CASS / KIDPIZZA.

aaronatthedoublef
                Participant

Thanks Kid. I have not used bleached flour in ages. I may have to rethink that. I really like KAF and Bob's Red Mill but maybe it's time to look for a new brand.

S_Wirth
                  Participant

Belated Happy Birthday wishes to you, BakerAunt...for your special day on January 28!!

Your spice cake sounds wonderful, one of my favorites!

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Thank you Cass and S. Wirth for the birthday wishes.

The spice cake recipe and frosting came from a bag of Gold Medal Flour many years ago. If anyone is interested, I will post it. If it was on a bag of flour, it must be in the public domain!

Aaron--maybe I should start a discussion thread titled: How many different kinds of flour do you have in your house? I'm pretty sure that for me it is at least 15.

Italiancook
                      Participant

This morning, I made Paula Deen's "Easy Rolls." Recipe at Food Network.

aaronatthedoublef
                        Participant

Let's see... I have white whole wheat, pastry, cake, bread, rye, almond, and soy. Does the ground flax seed count even though it is listed as "meal". What about corn meal, which in the UK is corn flour? I have a couple different sizes of that.

I still have a ways to catch you! 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.