What are You Baking the Week of January 22, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of January 22, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I didn't try any new recipes last week, so I tried a new one on Sunday, Sweet Potato Biscuits, in the new Bake from Scratch (January 2017). I will comment on the recipe in another thread, but it was a disappointment.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Italiancook
      Participant

I broke my New Year's resolution last week by not baking anything new. I didn't bake anything old, either. Today, I baked a new recipe from Martha Stewart's website: "Cheddar Bread." It doesn't agree with my taste buds. But it makes a beautiful loaf of bread, and I think my husband will enjoy it.

I baked a yellow cake yesterday. Didn't frost it. Put it in slices in freezer. Both recipes used buttermilk, so I have a couple cups left. I may make another yellow cake and frost it this week.

luvpyrpom
        Participant

No baking yet for this week. I may try to make some cornbread to go with the ham I had cooked yesterday. Or cornmeal biscuits. Haven't decided what I want to bake this week yet.

aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

I continue to work on my English muffins. This time I used less corn meal on the griddle although I think I could go without it completely. I may try that next time. Also, last time they were a bit under done so this time after they browned on each side I put them in the oven but for too long. They are better under done than over done because I usually toast or griddle them for sandwiches.

I have a new challah recipe to try and I have to test recipes for hamentashen as I will be helping lead our religious school kids in making them. I'll probably make the dough ahead and have the kids fill and fold them.

BakerAunt
            Participant

On Tuesday morning, I baked Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins, a recipe from Ken Haedrich's Home for the Holidays: Festive Baking with Whole Grains (p. 23), that has been a favorite of mine for years.

Aaron--I use cream of wheat (farina) on the griddle, a tip I got from the King Arthur folks a few years ago. It does not burn as quickly as cornmeal or semolina.

cwcdesign
              Participant

Someone was asking about Cinnamon Roll pancakes a while ago. I know it wasn't in its own thread, so I decided to post here. I get emails from a site called Pure Wow. They featured this article and recipe yesterday

http://www.purewow.com/recipes/Cinnamon-Roll-Pancakes?utm_medium=email&utm_source=Recipe&utm_campaign=20581&utm_content=Recipe_editorial

chocomouse
                Participant

I made the Heart of Winter loaf that BakerAunt mentioned in the "I was wondering" thread. It is really good, husband likes it with peanut butter and honey! After reading all the comments on the KAF recipe page I was hesitant to try it. A majority of the posters said it was way too wet, and someone said the hydration was 89%. Being an experienced bread baker I thought "I can handle this." So I held back 1/4 cup of the water; but I had to add it in, plus 2 tablespoons more when it didn't come together. I followed the recipe exactly, except: I added 2 tablespoons of vital wheat gluten, and I baked it as two loaves in 8 x 4 cast iron bread pans. I also kneaded it a bread machine. I didn't get much of a first rise, but the shaped loaves rose nicely, in about an hour. There was no oven spring. I would recommend this recipe, and I'll make it again.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Thanks for the thorough review, Chocomouse. I am thinking of replacing the sugar with honey, and some of the water with buttermilk when I bake it. I am also planning to use the "hearth" pan that KAF sold. It holds about a 4-cup recipe of flour, and I like it for my rye sandwich breads which have a lower rise. I will probably do my usual method with the mixer of mixing in the wholegrain flours first, then letting it sit for 15 minutes before I add the regular flour and the salt.

chocomouse
                    Participant

Today I made two loaves of maple-oatmeal-buttermilk bread, a pan of fudgy brownies, and a batch of blackberry jam filled muffins. I used a basic muffin recipe, with sour cream, from Mrs M on the old old Baking Circle. Half of all this baking went into the freezer for next week.

RiversideLen
                      Participant

Choco, that maple oatmeal buttermilk bread sounds interesting.

Yesterday I made a loaf of Oat raisin cinnamon bread.

aaronatthedoublef
                        Participant

I made KAF's no-knead challah but I have a couple of changes. First, I instead of just water I use water and apple cider, which is standard in my own challah recipe. I also recommend mixing all the dry ingredients together and all the liquid ingredients together then combining them. Otherwise it doesn't seem like everything is thoroughly mixed through-out. Finally I actually had to knead it (just a couple of turns though) to make it all come together. It is a big recipe coming in at about four and a half pounds of dough. I baked off two, one pound loaves and will see how it tastes tonight.

I put together some dough for hamentashen and then I'll make some either today or tomorrow or both days. We're making baskets for members of our temple who are homebound. Two years ago I made the hamentashen and last year the temple bought them. This year we're going to make them with the religious school kids so I am prepping for that.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

On Saturday, I baked Pecan Lime Cookies, from Cookies Unlimited, by Nick Malgieri (p.188). I realized after I'd put the first tray in that I'd forgotten the SALT. I hurriedly sprinkled some coarse Kosher salt on them. Next time, I will pay more attention. They are good, but they could have been truly great. I used bleached flour, since they are almost a shortbread, and it really does produce a superior cookie, as it did with my shortbread. I used Hudson Cream flour, as I found a 5 pound bag at my grocery store. (Thanks to Kid Pizza for having tutored us about the use of bleached flour!)

I also want to mention that I was the recipient of a wonderful spice cake with caramel frosting, baked by one of the office staff for my birthday celebration. She said she would bake any cake I wanted, since I always bake the cake for everyone else's birthday, so I gave her my recipe, and she produced a delicious cake.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
                            RiversideLen
                            Participant

Happy Birthday Baker Aunt!

Today I baked a half dozen sesame topped sandwich buns. They are about 40% whole wheat.

I like to bake them in a USA mini cake pan. I find the sides of buns brown better that way instead of just setting them on a flat pan.

Attachments:
                              You must be logged in to view attached files.
                              cwcdesign
                              Participant

Happy Birthday, Baker Aunt!!!

I made a Meyer Lemon pound cake by subbing in Meyer lemon juice for the oj in the KAF orange pound cake. We haven't tried it yet, but it is beautiful! Will report when we slice into it

aaronatthedoublef
                                Participant

Happy Birthday BA!

Sorry I missed Kid Pizza's discussion. What does unbleached flour do for cookies, particularly shortbread? I make my shortbread with unbleached bread flour and corn starch or with matzoh meal and potato starch during Passover. I'm also making hamentashen right now which is basically a French shortbread and using unbleached bread flour for it.

Thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.