What are You Baking the Week of January 19, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of January 19, 2020?

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    aaronatthedoublef
    Participant

Cool. I always forget prunes are plums!

As I said, I made scones yesterday with liquid instead of powdered buttermilk. Only one person made any comments and he said they were "fluffier". This was before I revealed the switch. I did not notice a taste difference myself. I think I will try making them in a food processor too.

I made pizza a different way. I've seen a bunch of people putting cheese on before sauce so I made a cheese pizza that way. My wife did not like it but one of my sons liked it better because he could taste the sauce more. I liked the cheese better which had a chewy texture. The crust was also crisper.

BakerAunt
      Participant

Peter Reinhart does the cheese on the dough in his pizza book and KAF has also picked up on it. I thought of trying it, but I have to use less rather than more cheese on my pizzas. I also suspect my husband would not like the chewy cheese.

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

I have two who like it and three who don't. There are places in Chicago who go cheese first too. I can do both as I am making multiple cheese pizzas.

aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

Also, I have cut back on cheese and this did not increase that. I am down from 32 ounces of cheese on five pizzas to 27 ounces of cheese on seven pizzas that are eaten over two or three days. Last night I was at 25 ounces.

I sliced the six ounces of cheese on a mandolin and used about half of it.

chocomouse
            Participant

Joan, the lemon cookies are addictive! Do you use the lemon juice powder that KAF sells? I use it in everything lemon. So often, lemon flavored baked goods are pretty bland and this powder really adds a wonderful lemon flavor. I use about a tablespoon per 2 cups of flour to start, and then make adjustments to future batches. I also use any lemon flavoring called for in the original recipe.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Chocomouse I've never used the lemon powder but do use lemon juice and the zest and extract.

skeptic7
                Participant

On Friday I made carrot bread with raisins, and Saturday morning I made whole wheat pancakes with buttermilk. These are fairly normal recipes for me, but when I finished up the leftovers on Sunday, I was surprised to find the left over pancake was moister and softer than the left over quick bread. The bread was fine after it was heated slightly and both pancakes and bread tasted wonderful with dark maple syrup. My friend from Canada brought some #4, Very Dark Robust maple syrup which has a wonderfully strong flavor. Would a mixture of cream cheese and maple syrup go well over pancakes? It would probably be great on bagels but I would have to go out and buy that.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.