What are You Baking the Week of January 19, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of January 19, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    skeptic7
    Participant

Riverside Len;
      Those buns look magnificent!

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Great height, Len.

I'm making the Old Milwaukee Rye bread from TRB today. (No, it doesn't use beer.)

RiversideLen
        Participant

Mike,I used to make an Old Milwaukee Rye from the RecipeZaar site, I wonder if that's the same recipe. It makes a wonderful rye bread.

Here's the recipe I'm referring to, Old Milwaukee Rye

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by RiversideLen.
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Looks like it is very similar, it uses a sponge, has molasses, an oil (Ginsberg uses butter), and an egg. Ginsberg has you make football-shaped loaves, I made ones that were more of a cylinder so that the slices will be about the same size, which is better for sandwiches. The loaves are cooling, the molasses smell is still pretty strong, I'm hoping it fades a bit. The caraway seeds aren't sticking to the outside very well, I may not have had enough egg in the egg wash.

When we were living in Chicago in the 70's, there was a packaged rye bread at the store that was a fairly ordinary rye bread, until you put it in the toaster. Then something magical happened, probably a result of the Maillard Reaction. It developed a complexity that was completely absent before toasting. I would toast and eat several slices at a time. I still consider the toast test to be the ultimate way to judge rye bread.

chocomouse
            Participant

Love your buns, Len!! I've not baked your recipe in my bun pan, but rather shaped them into rounded, dinner size (smaller) buns. They rose fine and were delicious. I've also never used buttermilk, I just use water, for any of my hamburg/hot dog/sandwich buns, but I'll try it next time. I just bought a fresh bottle of Kate's Buttermilk yesterday; I usually make my own by replacing what I used with 2% milk and letting it sit out in a warm kitchen for the day. I buy a bottle at the store only every 5-6 months. I have not noticed any difference over the many years I'be been doing that.

RiversideLen
              Participant

I used to just bake my buns on a sheet pan but the sides would be pale, so I found those pans at KAF and have been using them for several years. I like them much better this way.

Thank you all for the compliments.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Len your buns are very nice looking!

BakerAunt
                  Participant

On Thursday, I again Baked the Yogurt Rye Bread from Ginsberg’s book, but this time I used full-fat Stonyfield yogurt that I bought on our grocery run yesterday. I also mixed and kneaded it in the Zo bread machine, which worked much better than my mixer for this smaller amount of dough. The dough baked into the same sized loaf, still about 3 ¾ inches high. I’ll slice it tomorrow, as we have already eaten the first loaf I baked. (As I noted, it is a small loaf.)

aaronatthedoublef
                    Participant

I made scones this morning. I used liquid instead of powdered buttermilk. I'll see how the family likes them. The recipe seemed so small I thought I had measured wrong. Then I realized I usually make these for somebody and so I make a double recipe. I'm going to experiment with these some more over the next few weeks.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I am starting the Munich Penny Rolls from TRB today, but they won't be baked until tomorrow. I've got the two sponges mixed, I still need to grind up the chopped rye malt and toast it. I've cleaned off the flour mill to minimize wheat contamination, but I don't think I'll be using the red rye malt in any 100% rye breads or breads designed to be gluten-free so a little wheat probably won't hurt. I"m going to run some rye chops through first to kind of clean the insides out, since that's not accessible for cleaning. It'll also give me a good idea how well it works on chopped grains.

chocomouse
                        Participant

Today I made Lemon Oatmeal Sugar Cookies, from A Taste of Home. The only change I made was to add a tablespoon of lemon juice powder from KAF. They are delicious! I found I needed to bake them 10 minutes, instead of the listed 6-8 minutes, to get the chewy but crispy edges that I love. I'll be making these again. I also think I'll try using cocoa powder to make them chocolate flavored - in place of the recipe I used a week ago that was not chewy. BakerAunt, please do not even look at this recipe -- your cholesterol will go up 50 points just reading it!

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Chocomouse those cookies sound like something we'd like,we love anything lemon or chocolate.

Tonight I made a recipe that came out in the 70's that I made a lot back in the day.It was plum babyfood cake but now you can't find the plum baby food so I subbed in a cup of applesauce and it was a good snack cake as I remembered and so easy.I didn't add the nuts.It's like a spice cake baked in a bundt pan and when I made it I never iced it but one of the recipes on line said it would be good with a drizzle of lemon juice and powder sugar.It was good with a cup of coffee.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I wonder if pureed stewed prunes would be similar to plum baby food? I made a prune/chocolate ganache once to put in macarons, I thought it was delicious.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

Well, I toasted the malted rye after grinding it up, and it has an interesting fragrance. (I like it, my wife doesn't.) It does turn pink as you toast it.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

I love prune cake Mike,if I'd had any prunes I would have cooked them down for the cake.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.