What are You Baking the Week of December 31, 2017

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of December 31, 2017

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Tonight I plan to bake my Swedish Coffee Ring for New Year's Day breakfast. I've also promised my husband a pumpkin pie for New Year's dessert, so I will be baking it as well.

Addendum: I ran out of time to make the Swedish Coffee Ring. I'll save it for Epiphany. Instead, I made my version of the KAF Christmas Scones. I substituted in 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour. I use a combination of 1 cup mixed diced fruit, 1/2 cup chopped pecans, and 1/2 cup cinnamon chips. I sprinkle them with the KAF sparkling sugar.

Note: KAF no longer sells the cinnamon chips. They have some kind of cinnamon pieces now. I'll probably try them after I use up my current stock of cinnamon chips.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
      cwcdesign
      Participant

I made the star bread! Made the dough in the Z, lightly oiled the mat and rolling pin, cut everything according to the directions, twisted and pinched, let it rise and baked it. My circles weren't quite round, so it's a little off symmetrically, but it looks surprisingly good. It baked up larger than my largest circular platter so it's on the parchment on a pizza pan. We'll see how it tastes tomorrow.

IMG_0036

note: I'm a little frustrated by the file upload. Each time I reduced the photo to the appropriate size on my computer, WordPress said the file was too big. For example, the one I just uploaded is 481 here, but 427 on my computer. When mine said it was 492kb, WordPress said it was larger than 512 - a little confusing to say the least.

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        BakerAunt
        Participant

Beautiful Star Bread, Cwcdesign!

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Agreed, a very nice looking star bread.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

That bread is beautiful!

skeptic7
              Participant

That is a most beautiful bread! I hope it tastes good.
                I made a cheese pizza with what turned out to be 4 different cheese, mozarella, provolone, chedder and swiss. I normally think that swiss is too strong tasting when cooked but put a slice on anyway.

Italiancook
                Participant

Your star looks gorgeous, cwcdesign. Thanks for persevering to post the picture. I wonder: When you bite into the bread, is it hard or soft?

cwcdesign
                  Participant

I haven’t had a chance to taste it - I had to leave work to take my mom to Immediate Care. My coworkers who tried it, warmed it and said it was really good, not too sweet. I think it should be fairly soft - the dough was.

Edit: Will and I both had a chance to taste it. Will said I nailed it and brought some home. I tasted a small piece and it is definitely good, but would have benefited from being warm - but then I tend to be more critical of what I bake.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by cwcdesign.
                    RiversideLen
                    Participant

That star bread looks fabulous cwcdesign!

Yesterday I made a lemon cake using Arrowhead Mills vanilla cake mix. I subbed part of the milk with fresh lemon juice and lemon zest. I used a little food color to make it festive for the Christmas season, I made the cake red and the frosting green.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

It was -15F here this morning. We may have reached a high of 4F. On top of that our internet was out until late afternoon. So I did a lot of reading, and I baked my current variation of Antilope's Vienna Bread (see reply on the recipe), but I reduced the salt to 1 3/4 tsp. from 2 tsp.

In terms of procedure, I tried the idea of holding back the butter--cut into pieces and coated with flour--until half way through the 30 minute bread machine kneading cycle. I do not know if that is why the bread had such a wonderful rise. I also used the Emile Henry long baker (fourth time for it but first time for this recipe) and adjusted the baking times for 10 minutes at 425F, 25 minutes at 375F, and 5 minutes more without the top on. It made a beautiful loaf. I look forward to cutting into it tomorrow and seeing the texture.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
                        BakerAunt
                        Participant

Today I baked Brandied Fruitcake Drops from Christmas 101, by Rick Rodgers (p. 129). I used mixed fruit that I got from KAF a while back. I substituted pecans for walnuts, since I am still using up the bounty from the pecan tree we had in Texas. The recipe called for brandy or bourbon. I used brandy, as that is what was on hand.

The recipe made 40 cookies. Even my husband, who is not a fruitcake fan, likes them, but that may be in part because I was not using the traditional mix of candied cherries, orange peel, lemon peel, etc.

skeptic7
                          Participant

On January 4th, I baked cranberry scones to take to work and today I baked sugarless apple scones. I'm going to a party tonight and the hostess is diabetic so I wanted to make something she could taste.
                            The nice thing about it being so cold is that I can preheat the oven for an hour or longer while I am mixing the batter and I don't feel guilty at all.
                            I had the oven at 400 + degrees for a couple of hours yesterday as I reseasoned a cast iron griddle. I had sanded off by hand almost all the seasoning on the inside of the pan and was now baking on a very thin coat of oil. Removing the seasoning with sandpaper and steel wool is a messy job but the old seasoning was thick and lumpy and annoyed me.

luvpyrpom
                            Participant

No baking for me this week - taking a break from the massive marathon of holiday baking.

CWCdesign - your star bread looks beautiful! I did a Christmas tree one year and everyone teased me because it looked more like an alligator than a tree.

I'm sure I'll be back to baking again next week as I've decided to get back into baking breads again.

Italiancook
                              Participant

I baked KAF Easy Cinnamon Bread. I have a supply of the cinnamon chips, so I was in luck with the recipe given someone posted they non longer sell them. My sister made this recipe last year (as I recall), and she used Hershey's cinnamon chips. She bought them online from Walmart, but I think they sell them in my local store. She made the mistake of ordering them during the summer, and they melted. The store refunded her money.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Italian Cook--King Arthur now sells "cinnamon pieces." I've not tried them as I have a fairly large stash of chips in the refrigerator. I did send some to one of my sisters, who got a selection of King Arthur products from me for a Christmas present.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.